1994 Fantic K Roo

halhark

Hello all, ive just purchased my first trials bike. A ruff and ready 1994(I believe from pictures)Fantic K Roo. Having only rode reasonably new road bikes 600/1000cc my practical knowledge of bike mechanics is limited! I have a few questions im struggling with.

Firstly the bike seems to lose all its water within about 45 mins of general riding(No big hills or long rides). Is this normal? If not what are the possible problems? Would replacing the water with coolant help?

Also i have noticed the fan gets stuck pretty much as soon as you get going. Is this a common fault with this model? Could this be connected to the water problem? I've checked for any obstructions and there arent any. Could it be an electrical problem?

And finally, Im in need of some cosmetic parts, i.e plastics, levers etc. Ive had a browse online with not much luck. Any points in the right direction would be appreciated. And actually, any advice for things to look out for on this model and things to change etc would also be nice!

Thanks!

Hal.

Hello all, ive just purchased my first trials bike. A ruff and ready 1994(I believe from pictures)Fantic K Roo. Having only rode reasonably new road bikes 600/1000cc my practical knowledge of bike mechanics is limited! I have a few questions im struggling with.

Firstly the bike seems to lose all its water within about 45 mins of general riding(No big hills or long rides). Is this normal? If not what are the possible problems? Would replacing the water with coolant help?

Also i have noticed the fan gets stuck pretty much as soon as you get going. Is this a common fault with this model? Could this be connected to the water problem? I've checked for any obstructions and there arent any. Could it be an electrical problem?

And finally, Im in need of some cosmetic parts, i.e plastics, levers etc. Ive had a browse online with not much luck. Any points in the right direction would be appreciated. And actually, any advice for things to look out for on this model and things to change etc would also be nice!

Thanks!

Hal.

The bike shouldn't lose any water at all!! check the rediador, hoses and around the water pump. if no leaks then drop the oil, if its like milk then a seal has gone.

what do you mean by the fan getting stuck? does it try to spin the stops? not spin at all?

let us know and we will help as much as we can, I dont have any experience with this model but there will be people on here that do.

the above is just general trials bike stuff that applies to all makes and models.

The bike shouldn't lose any water at all!! check the rediador, hoses and around the water pump. if no leaks then drop the oil, if its like milk then a seal has gone.

what do you mean by the fan getting stuck? does it try to spin the stops? not spin at all?

let us know and we will help as much as we can, I dont have any experience with this model but there will be people on here that do.

the above is just general trials bike stuff that applies to all makes and models.

Hang on a minute, wasn't that the freon cooled bike?

Thanks for the replies. I thought it shouldn't lose the water, had it warming up stood for awhile and didn't notice any leaks, kicks off first time and runs nice. I will do some more checks tonight.

As for the fan, when it stops, it stops completely. I'm guessing these use a thermostat?

I noticed this morning a small single core white wire hanging not connected to the fuse box, could this be part if the old lighting?

Thanks again,

Hal.

Right ive had the bike out for a decent run (and spilled haha). After about 10 minutes water started firing out of a small hole in the water overflow tank cap. Is this hole in as standard as its pretty neatly drilled with a holed nipple inside? And what reasons would it come out at such pressure, just simple over heating? The fan didnt start once even with the water level high. So im guessing that needs replacing and or thermostat?

I cant seem to find any sort of wiring diagrams for the bike. At the fuse box there is a loose white wire, any ideas where its from or does? Old light perhaps?

The guy i got it off, i think has filled the exhaust (which is some rubbish replacment thing) with rock wool.. I think its collecting oil, which is leaking from the jubilee clipped joint. Will that become an issue?

Anyway im going to take a load of pictures tomorrow. Bare in mind this bike cost me practically nothing so try not to laugh to hard!

Thanks,

Hal.

Hi Halhark,

I've got a similar problem with my K-roo 91, the blue one.

mine has been botched in a previous life and has a fan sensor on a pipe

from the bottom of the radiator to the engine this doesn't work either.

I've got my fan on all the time by making the circuit from the stat sensor

straight to the fan,that would test your fan aswell,mine fan moves when you push it over by hand,

easier with the plug out.next things i'm going to look at the oil for the creamy oil

getting to know it like yourself, flipped mine at weekend popped the mudguard back the right way and

got away with it.

got to sort this water problem to enjoy it though, feels like i'm nursing it all the time.

loads of power so you think the head gasket is ok, water cooled is different

the piston is pressurizing your water and forcing it out when the head gasket is gone

this will happen even if you run the bike with the cap off and you'll see bubbles like a kettle

boiling, another thread mentions replacing one of the radiator hoses to stop it constricting the hose when under load uphills

hope you get it sorted.

• 6 years later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hap, I have attached the parts list but I don't have the wiring diagram - I have attached the handbook for a 307 which contains the newest Fantic wiring diagram I have, but a 307 is air cooled so doesn't have a fan. Fantic electrics are all very similar, the fan on your K-roo would probably have a rectifier in the circuit somewhere......

Fantic_K-roo_250_94Mod.pdf

Manuale-307.pdf

Edited by grib
  • Like 3