ATF Dexron III

vmeldrew

For those of you whose bikes use ATF oil

I spotted this today at Halfords.(Enter ATF in the search, you should get this offer at the top of the page or try this link - it may work for you)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_214856_categoryId_165750_langId_-1?cm_sp=Intelligent_Offer-_-Product_List_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PLPz1

Don't know if it will work for everyone, if it does you owe me a pint! (Beer that is)

Al

Hi I have just replaced the clutch on my son's Gas Gas 250 pro.A little note came with the plates."It is not recommended to use A T F with these plates".So I have gone back to Putoline light gear oil. I think if you have to do any fast work between sections the A T F breaks down quicker. Just a thought.

Cant see why ATF should break down any quicker than std gear oil, ATF is still designed to lubricate gearboxes (Just auto boxes)

The biggest killer to the oil is the clutch friction material

• Like 1

I'm on my way, cheers for the heads up!

Also I know GG factory bikes use ATF as I've seen them doing both Gubian and Raga's bikes with it.

Think GG UK might as well but not 100%. Might be an 'officially we use xxxxxx' but actually use ATF, kinda like when Jordi Tarres had Nolan painted on his obviously Shoei helmet.

I should phone and get them to check whats on the shelf before you visit - my local store (Croydon - Purley Way) said they had it in stock - but alas no. When they checked the local stores for me, none of them had it either!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I know a small amount about this forum.

Start from day one Dextron is a name for a manufaturer tyre of Auto Tramsmition oil, this can be mineral oil or a blend of sinthetic oil most oil is ok for a short time eg 5 to 8 hours but if you go over that the fluid will brake down slowly. Most ATF oils are designed to run in old gear boxes eg brake band and 3 gears (its the gears mashing together that brake the oil down) but the modern German auto box runs a 7 speed with gears and wet clutches most of the gears, the fluid change is around 35,000miles but no mud or water which for one gram of water will corrod and damage 10 grams of good fluid most auto boxes have a filter no 2 stroke have, But the mercedes and bmw atf oil is a full sinthetic oil and will last longer and has a anti slip agent in the oil, the late merceces oil is glycol resistant which is good for all the betas with the corroded water pump casing. so basicly atf is very diferent look for one that is sinthetic and not mineral the more you pay the better. i ues the mercedes 722.9 gear box oil its on the bay for