Re packing...

cabby

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rotfl:

Yea, I think you need to send your's off for a bull's ass!

Yet, getting back to basics here, you need to give the same stick to the bike for the life of the spark plug! These too can easily be oil and fuel fouled and you need to burn that stuff off! Oil just lays up in the motor and exhaust at low revs!

One needs some heat in the motor first, then a good full rev under load to clean things out and get it hot enough to burn off. This stuff really needs to happen every ride. A good run through a field through the gears at a decent clip just to build some heat, then possibly a couple "drag" race runs revving out high through the gears.

I gotta tell you I am no "eco" freak, but history suggests that even in the case of running 80:1 a normal punter can have a lot of excess oil flowing about.

Question here being, if we can run pro bikes at 80:1, just how much do YOU need? Aside from road trials, probably not that much! Common sense and good practice should prevail here. But you gotta be your own judge, and use common sense. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

guys, it seems ive got this same problem on the go at the minute......

reading through it seems like no hard and fast methods have been found yet to sort this.....

the suggestion of using caustic soda was obvoiusly a non starter, but is there any reason why i cant plug one end and a good degreasant fluid cant be poured in and left over night ?? ok ,it would soak every thing up pretty bad but this would dry out quick enough i reckon ? a few washes through should loosen the crud... ???

whats anyone elses idea's on this....?

im at the stage where at my last trial the silencer got extrememly hot, nothing melted and there was no real change in tone, but it was clear somthing wasnt right.... do you think giving it a proper good thrashing will help, or i have i reached the point of no return ..... i dont want to melt anything..... :rolleyes:

but is there any reason why i cant plug one end and a good degreasant fluid cant be poured in and left over night ??

Doubt it would do much but if you find a fluid (mix) that works well please let us know.

I still like the Jet Engine / Flame Thrower (in wet sand) method myself .... worked so well for me .... but then again folk do tell me I'm crazy :rotfl:

Best of balance.

Neo

Doubt it would do much but if you find a fluid (mix) that works well please let us know.

I still like the Jet Engine / Flame Thrower (in wet sand) method myself .... worked so well for me .... but then again folk do tell me I'm crazy :rotfl:

Best of balance.

Neo

ha haha ahaha care to elaborate ? :popcorn:

ha haha ahaha care to elaborate ? :popcorn:

I gave all the details in an old post some time back but can't find it now ... Does anyone remember and/or have access to old posts search?

Best of balance.

Neo

There is another reason why a Sherco will over-heat it's silencer (I've seen it before,very dramatic)...a dodgy stator ?!

funny you should say that ham2.... at the same time the rear silencer started to get hot, i noticed the bike had developed a slight knock.... the knock sound is a single knock, and it happens only when i blip the throttle.....it does it when the revs reach their highest point......

i had wondered wether the two prblems were related...??? would an issue with the stator /timing make somthing like this happen ?

Yesir..ee :icon_salut:

doh..... i do think ive ran the bike to rich, despite doing what sherco advise.... so the can probably is full of shizzlepop.... but, with that slight knock added to the mix i do fear it could be a stator issue.... ive just had the big ends done ,everything was sweet as a nut, but is it possible after the three trials ive done since the work the stator has come loose or moved and advanced/retarded the timing ?

the thing is, its running fine, really fine....just got this tiny knock ive mention and an exhaust which is hotter then a napalm vindaloo.

forgive me and my limited knowledge of bike maintenance/mechanics... but im hoping its just a case of readjusting the timing if the issue IS stator related.....? would i be right in thinking maybe a worn woodrough key may have allowed the stator to slip/move and cause this problem ? or, if this was the case would the bike be runnin like a bag of broken busciuts ?

as i said, it runs fine, just hot.

gonna take silencer off at the weekend and fill with degreaser before i try any other methods..... but i do feel the issue will be, as you advise, stator related.

doh.