1981 2honey

gumby26

Another bracket welded on swing arm so tensioner bolt goes through original braket throught tensioner and then supported by new bracket makes it all a better design, similar to 240.

Great idea Furse ! Wish I knew that trick before the restore ! On the next one.....:) How is your pro coming and how do they compare ?

Took it out today for its first trial, its not looking pretty but very happy with it, Once all the little bits are sorted out I think it will be better than my old 200. Its still very similar to the minarelli, gear box is better and all the fun of a minarelli 200 but a bit more fun.

One main issue I found today was clutch slip when going across the field from section to section, but in the sections it was fine, even on the hills, so a bit lost on this, running ATF oil ?

Took it out today for its first trial, its not looking pretty but very happy with it, Once all the little bits are sorted out I think it will be better than my old 200. Its still very similar to the minarelli, gear box is better and all the fun of a minarelli 200 but a bit more fun.

One main issue I found today was clutch slip when going across the field from section to section, but in the sections it was fine, even on the hills, so a bit lost on this, running ATF oil ?

Hi Furse, my 240 just started the same symptoms. Not bad but just started to notice. I have been running merc/dex ATF ( I may try "Type F" ). I bought a complete clutch kit and did the "Beta" Clutch Mod". I'll report when I put it in. I've been told this is common though ??? Let me know how you make out ? The Minerelli clutch is perfect so far.

Hi Furse, my 240 just started the same symptoms. Not bad but just started to notice. I have been running merc/dex ATF ( I may try "Type F" ). I bought a complete clutch kit and did the "Beta" Clutch Mod". I'll report when I put it in. I've been told this is common though ??? Let me know how you make out ? The Minerelli clutch is perfect so far.

Almost every 240 I've ever riden slips a bit in top gear , if it really bothers you , I beleive you can add a extra steel clutch disc ... I have found thru trial and tribulations that Silkolene light gear oil gives me the best and most consistant clutch action ...

Glenn B)

I'm running a 50/50 mix of silkolene and mercon synthetic ATF,seems to have good light clutch action,plus doesn't get clunky shifting after the third loop,At least I think it was Silkolene I mixed with,will check when I get out to the garage tonight,if not Silkolene them some other quality Motorcycle gear oil in a light viscosity.I'm kinda afraid of straight ATF in a old gearbox,plus don't want to stress K/S gears.

What is the Beta clutch mod?

Yes Minerelli clutch was fine.

What is the Beta clutch mod?

Yes Minerelli clutch was fine.

I cleaned up the tabs on the fiber plates (the surface that slides, (drives) the basket) with a dremel and fine cut off wheel.I tried a 50/50 cocktail and it did seem worse. I'm no oil expert but I do know ATF has a high shear strength,look at what it does. I am pretty easy on these bikes and the 240 was a low hour bike. I assume ( I hate that word ) the springs have just "sacked out" over time and or it may simply just need a new pack, or just the nature of the beast. Either way I'll sleep better at night. It wasn't really that bad, but it's the little things that bother me. :)

;) Nature of the beast ! I've got a buddy that rode for Fantic back when our bikes were new and he say's they did it then too ... That's why the 300's have a larger clutch and less torque when they where new ...

I beleive it's a surface area thing . And new springs and or washers under the springs will only help wear the weak actuating mechinism out ...

And really ; how often do you use top gear in a trial ???? I tend to relax and just cruise on the loop and catch my breath , look at the sites etc.

As long as mine doesn't slip at all up to 4th gear (and I've only experienced it in 6th gear that I've ever noticed , and that was on pavement ...) I can live with it just fine . So the bikes had two design flaws , The ungreasable swing arm bearings (THANKS Chris !!!@classic trial ) and a clutch that was designed for trials riding as it was done at that time . ( and just above adequate then ) IT IS STILL the BEST OUT OF THE CRATE TWINSHOCK ever massproduced !!!! That's why we love them !!!!

Glenn B):beer::rotfl:

Thanks Glen and good to know ! The first free chance I get I'll install the new clutch as I have it anyway, but not in a hurry now....surely can't hurt. Totally agree on the Fantic being "Best Twin Shocker".....I just can't pick a winner between the 200 and 240,..lov'em both !!! I can sleep now :)