two stroke oil

bondy

hi all whats the best f/s two stroke oil to use for my bultaco 350?

two stroke oil is recommended. :D

Really, anything made today is probably way better than when the bike was new. How much will you ride your bike? If I put 100 miles a year on my bike I'd be surprised. Sitting there will do more damage that riding it.

Buy some and ride it.

:mellow:

Any semi-synthetic two stroke oil at 50 - 1 ( thats 100ml of oil per 5 litres of fuel) ...... How many times do you need telling Chris

hi keith i know im hard work. i did get some semi-synthetice just worrid becaues it dosant smoke as much as this other bultaco ive just got witch probley as fully synthetice in. :mellow:

When Bultaco was still in business, there was a special synthetic two stroke oil under the brand name Bultaco available, it was made specially for Bultaco. With this oil you could run the engine for trial purpose with 1:100.

The manufactor of this oil was OPTIMOL in Munic, they made 200ml bottles with a scale on the side for every 5l gasoline.

Sadly Optimol has been bought by some US guys already decades ago, they still manufacture the oil but don't sell it here, the manufactors name: Interlube International

Optimol 2-4 in the USA

The Opti oil has some special treatments compared to other two stroke oils: Technical ...

With a good sysnthetic two stroke oil from Castrol, Motul(France) or MOTOREX (Switzerland) and premium gas something between 1:60 up to 1:75 will also work,

(I use 1:75 now, sadly my last bottles of Bultaco two stroke oil had been used with my Beta TR34 in 1987).

Benefit of less oil, less carbon, less clogging up the exhaust system.

Edited by PSchrauber

When Bultaco was still in business, there was a special synthetic two stroke oil under the brand name Bultaco available, it was made specially for Bultaco. With this oil you could run the engine for trial purpose with 1:100.

The manufactor of this oil was OPTIMOL in Munic, they made 200ml bottles with a scale on the side for every 5l gasoline.

Sadly Optimol has been bought by some US guys already decades ago, they still manufacture the oil but don't sell it here, the manufactors name: Interlube International

Optimol 2-4 in the USA

The Opti oil has some special treatments compared to other two stroke oils: Technical ...

With a good sysnthetic two stroke oil from Castrol, Motul(France) or MOTOREX (Switzerland) and premium gas something between 1:60 up to 1:75 will also work,

(I use 1:75 now, sadly my last bottles of Bultaco two stroke oil had been used with my Beta TR34 in 1987).

Benefit of less oil, less carbon, less clogging up the exhaust system.

thanks for your help

Chris just stick with the semi-synthetic two stroke at 50-1 , you don't need the fully synthetic .Just ride and enjoy your

bike and stop trying to MOD it up with the latest this that and the other ..... :beer:

Chris just stick with the semi-synthetic two stroke at 50-1 , you don't need the fully synthetic .Just ride and enjoy your

bike and stop trying to MOD it up with the latest this that and the other ..... :beer:

Just to note Bultaco started in 1978 with their own 1:100 two stroke oil!

So this is nothing tricky new it is vintage old.

Here an articel about Bultaco motorcycles from 2002 from Oldtimer classic

about the first use of 1:100 ratio two stroke oil for the Sherpa:

50_Jahre_Technik_6098.jpg

The Bultaco Sherpa was my first "bigger" Trialsbike in 1980/81,^^

So I do remember very well these times and what we used then.

In this technical "matter" it's kind of strange that there has been no

development in the ratio case of pre mix gas, I would rather state we

have gone backwards now ??? :unsure:

without getting too far into the oil debate i am not of the belief that less oil is better...... necessarily. Any name brand modern 2 stroke oil mixed at the oil manufacturers spec is fine. I use torco gp-7 @ 50:1 in my trials bike. 50:1 does seem to be what most folks are using in the sherpas. In actual fact the harder a 2 stroke engine runs the more oil it needs. Lets take a bultaco astro as an example. here is a bike that is meant to run wide open and fast all the time. This engine needs more oil to help disapate heat away from the piston and into the cylinder wall. An engine that runs at lower rpm like a sherpa t doesn't generate the heat like an astro or a pursang so one can get away with using less oil. Optimol while still used widely here in canada and the u.s. is only good for trials type riding. In any motocross style bike that i have seen it used in they seize. this may likely have been caused by poor setup and maintenance but none the less if more oil had been used the repairs would have cost less. So in closing use any name brand 2 stroke oil like bel ray, yamalube, golden spectro, maxima, torco, motorex, motul etc etc pick one stick with it and mix it the way that the bottle tells you. Usually the manufacture will allow for any variance between 32 and 50 to 1.

Theres no secret just pick one and stick with it

Steve

without getting too far into the oil debate i am not of the belief that less oil is better...... necessarily. Any name brand modern 2 stroke oil mixed at the oil manufacturers spec is fine. I use torco gp-7 @ 50:1 in my trials bike. 50:1 does seem to be what most folks are using in the sherpas. In actual fact the harder a 2 stroke engine runs the more oil it needs. Lets take a bultaco astro as an example. here is a bike that is meant to run wide open and fast all the time. This engine needs more oil to help disapate heat away from the piston and into the cylinder wall. An engine that runs at lower rpm like a sherpa t doesn't generate the heat like an astro or a pursang so one can get away with using less oil. Optimol while still used widely here in canada and the u.s. is only good for trials type riding. In any motocross style bike that i have seen it used in they seize. this may likely have been caused by poor setup and maintenance but none the less if more oil had been used the repairs would have cost less. So in closing use any name brand 2 stroke oil like bel ray, yamalube, golden spectro, maxima, torco, motorex, motul etc etc pick one stick with it and mix it the way that the bottle tells you. Usually the manufacture will allow for any variance between 32 and 50 to 1.

Theres no secret just pick one and stick with it

Steve

Any discussion of pre-mix ratios opens the pandora box, anywhere and anytime.

I do not know why, let's take it as a statement.

here I can only state my personal opinion.

@ BultacoSteve

You are from Canada than you might know "vintage speedy", or in his full name Helmut Clasen,

(He is a member of the Canadian "Motorcycle Hall of Fame" lists so I assume you might know him ?).

He runs also Optimol at a ratio of 1:100 in his bikes, (That he is still racing, ....).

His statement in the German Offroad Forum from 2009 where they discussed if there is any oil as good

as the old MAICO racing two stroke oil that could be used in a ratio of 1:100:

[url="http://www.offroadforen.de/vb/showthread.php?72676-Maico-Renn

I disagree completely. Horsepower numbers will show that there is more power to be made using more oil. That isn't my opinion it is documented scientific fact, period. If 100:1 works for you or Helmut (I am aware of him although he is from ontario I am in BC) then thats fantastic. More oil equals more horsepower. Give A. Graham Bells 2 stroke tuning theory a read or any article written by Jennings (cant remember his first name Gordon I think). They are easily available on the net. Their research and development on 2 strokes is world renowned. However as mentioned if opti 100:1 works for you or anyone else thats great. I just prefer to use 50:1. Keep in mind my background. I have been a motorcycle mechanic working professionally in a dealership for 20 years. I have rebuilt literally thousands of 2 strokes and 2 facts I can gauruntee with great certainty, wiseco 2 stroke pistons always seize and if using ratios of 60:1 or less will equal engine failure for most people. Those of us on this forum are much more

I disagree completely. Horsepower numbers will show that there is more power to be made using more oil. That isn't my opinion it is documented scientific fact, period. If 100:1 works for you or Helmut (I am aware of him although he is from ontario I am in BC) then thats fantastic. More oil equals more horsepower. Give A. Graham Bells 2 stroke tuning theory a read or any article written by Jennings (cant remember his first name Gordon I think). They are easily available on the net. Their research and development on 2 strokes is world renowned. However as mentioned if opti 100:1 works for you or anyone else thats great. I just prefer to use 50:1. Keep in mind my background. I have been a motorcycle mechanic working professionally in a dealership for 20 years. I have rebuilt literally thousands of 2 strokes and 2 facts I can gauruntee with great certainty, wiseco 2 stroke pistons always seize and if using ratios of 60:1 or less will equal engine failure for most people. Those of us on this forum are much more

I agree with Steve. But at the same time all 2 strokes need to be jetted to the fuel and oil mixture used. I use OPTI-2 in my sherpa @ 50:1 with excellent results. Optimol is a good choice for all 2 strokes. Also I use a gear oil compatible with wet clutches in the primary drive and gear box.

My Opinion

Brett

Well if it helps - and it probably doesn't, I have a variety of two strokes, chainsaws x 2, earth auger x 1, hedge trimmer x 1, and two Bultaco's. I run them all on the Stihl two stroke oil because its easiest to get for me. The bikes run on 50:1 with little smoke and no obvgious signs of problems.

Regards

paul C