Bultaco 198 Model numbers - help?

smelling123

Hi, i have what I think is a 198, the frame number starts with 198 and then some numbers.

The bike has the alloy bashplate/no frame rails at the bottom. Am I right in thinking the bashplate model was 198A and 198B?

If so maybe mine has been converted - if it has then its a professional job and looks very much like others I have seen so Im not worried but it'd be nice to know.

I'd have expected the frame number on a 198A or 198B to start with 198A (or 198B) not just 198...

Any ideas?

thanks

Hi, i have what I think is a 198, the frame number starts with 198 and then some numbers.

The bike has the alloy bashplate/no frame rails at the bottom. Am I right in thinking the bashplate model was 198A and 198B?

If so maybe mine has been converted - if it has then its a professional job and looks very much like others I have seen so Im not worried but it'd be nice to know.

I'd have expected the frame number on a 198A or 198B to start with 198A (or 198B) not just 198...

Any ideas?

thanks

The frame number should start with two letters then a hyphen then comes 3 digits with the model number. like your mentioned 198 after that the serial number of that number, a or b models are marked by a second hyphen then comes the letter.

Number as follows:

AA-MMMXXXX-S

A: letters

M: model number

X: serial number

S: A or B model, (if none of this forget the hyphen and the S)

Here as an example for the serial nuber of an 199b model:

100_0652.JPG

more info-

##198##### 1978/1979 Badged as a '250' (238cc) 5 speed ,Silver frame /red mudguards,red side panels and red tank

##199##### 1978/1979 " '350' (325cc) 5 speed , Colours as above

Both models above have frame rails under engine with grill type welded on bash plate

##198#####-A 1980 " '250' (238cc) 5 speed, Blue frame,blue mudguards ,blue side panels and blue tank

##199#####-A 1980 " '350' (325cc) 5 speed , Colours as above

Both models above had NO frame rails ender engine but had a thick alloy bash plate instead

##198#####-B 1981 " '250' (238cc) 5 speed ,WHITE frame and white mudguards,blue side panels,blue tank,blue yokes and forks

##199#####-B 1981 " '350' (340cc) 6 SPEED Colours as above " " "

Both models above had NO frame rails ender engine but had a thick alloy bash plate instead

Edited by pedronicman

Some further info. re 198 models as they left the factory -

Frame with bottom tubes and welded bash plate used up to serial #19801769

Frame less bottom tubes and with alloy bash plate factory-fitted from serial #19801770.

(according to the appropriate parts book, and unless someone out there knows differently, of course)

Edited by Lorenzo

Some further info. re 198 models as they left the factory -

Frame with bottom tubes and welded bash plate used up to serial #19801769

Frame less bottom tubes and with alloy bash plate factory-fitted from serial #19801770.

(according to the appropriate parts book, and unless someone out there knows differently, of course)

198 MODEL - Frame has bottom tubes and welded grille type bash plate

198A MODEL - Frame has NO bottom tubes and is fitted with alloy bash plate and strengthened swingarm

Edited by pedronicman