Lighter clutch

curt531

Hi everyone, does anybody have any advice to make the clutch lighter ( easier to pull in )on my TXT Pro 250. The bike is 2005 model , the clutch is working fine with no problems but it would be nice if it was a little lighter like the newer models, any ideas ?

• Like 1

Hi everyone, does anybody have any advice to make the clutch lighter ( easier to pull in )on my TXT Pro 250. The bike is 2005 model , the clutch is working fine with no problems but it would be nice if it was a little lighter like the newer models, any ideas ?

Ok, in 06 they redisigned the "spring" in the pro engine's clutch, since you say 05 "txt" I still assume youre talking about the Pro models... if NOT, the information is worthless for you... It is called a bellville spring, it is just one big ring around your clutch below the 12 or is it 16 bolts on the clutch pack, it is not flat... see gasgas spain's website for parts breakdowns, or youtube has video, if you stop at gasgas.com (usa) website to see links to Jim Snell's maintenance videos, you should find the video easily.

The spring is cheap, replace the one you have, I did that on my 04, and loved it.

Easiest way is to move your levers as far inward as you can this will also give you a much more progressive feel.

Try it and its also free

Dustin

Already done this,but thanks for the reply. :icon_salut:

Ok, in 06 they redisigned the "spring" in the pro engine's clutch, since you say 05 "txt" I still assume youre talking about the Pro models... if NOT, the information is worthless for you... It is called a bellville spring, it is just one big ring around your clutch below the 12 or is it 16 bolts on the clutch pack, it is not flat... see gasgas spain's website for parts breakdowns, or youtube has video, if you stop at gasgas.com (usa) website to see links to Jim Snell's maintenance videos, you should find the video easily.

The spring is cheap, replace the one you have, I did that on my 04, and loved it.

Hi, yes it is a Pro,i assume the newer springs are a bit thinner ? do you recall what year spring you replaced it with ? cheers Paul.

While your into the clutch a couple of jobs that can be done to get a silky smooth clutch is to replace the seals in the top hat and when replacing the fluid use dot 5.1 as it's silicone based and is less likley to make the seals swell. But more importantly is to polish the inside of the top hat with a dremel and metal polishing compound like autosol or equivelent. I was recomended to do this a while ago and now i always get comments on how smooth and light my clutch feels. As mentioned before about watching the you tube video's thats good advice , there great! it goes into about replacing the metal clutch plates for one's of varying thickness to get the clutch to feel just how you want.

polish the inside of the top hat with a dremel and metal polishing compound like autosol or equivelent. I was recomended to do this a while ago and now i always get comments on how smooth and light my clutch feel.

Done the oil & seals but not the polishing, thanks for that I will give it a try. :thumbup:

As I recall the lighter springs started in '06. My wife had an '05 and I changed it to the newer spring which improved the feel a lot. She took a ride on my '07 and wanted her clutch to feel the same and after the upgrade it did. As a side note my son is riding that bike now and even in the higher classes (he rides ADV and some EXP) there seems to be no problem with the thinner spring, he works the clutch way harder than she did. :D

Done the oil & seals but not the polishing, thanks for that I will give it a try. :thumbup:

• 2 years later...

Old thread I know but does anyone have a part number for the lighter '06+ spring?

Also I have an '04 txt pro so would this spring make a difference on this bike?

I only ever use one finger on the clutch so after a few hours practice my clutch finger/arm is always the first thing to get tired making me stop for the day :-(

Edited by sawtooth

Any hydraulic clutch is lighter than a cable clutch.

OK so this means you train on a cable clutch like a nice stiff TLR200 Reflex that has had zero mods done to it. :P

OR use a lighter spring for your clutch. I have found using a "spring hand exerciser helped build up my hands/forearms. I also take a potassium pill every day to keep my potassium level up to help combat "arm pump"

Think the problem is I've not ridden trials for 4yrs, its just frustrating that I have to give up after a few hours just because of one finger. Should have the lighter spring by tomorrow and will also move my lever in a bit so I've got maximum leverage where the one finger sits so that should help. Of course the more time goes by the better it will be but I'm impatient and want to get practicing and make the most of the good weather.

Seems I need a 7mm 12 point torx socket to remove the clutch spring, anyone know where might stock one local? Have tried my local bolts and fastners place and local motor factors but both places only have 6 point starting at 8mm. Will stop in bvm-moto tomorrow but doubt they'll have one so looking at the likes of b+q, machine mart and screwfix etc. Cant even find one on ebay :-(