Majesty250

majesty320

Well done for getting that deal!

Has this set a new level for majesty prices, it leaves the rest of the majesty owners thinking!

I could see a problem of fake majestys flooding the market.

Well done for getting that deal!

Has this set a new level for majesty prices, it leaves the rest of the majesty owners thinking!

I could see a problem of fake majestys flooding the market.

No , I think Mr Mawlem and the eager french market set the bar for majesty prices and of course most people who have them now dont really want rid. Would you sell yours ? I wouldnt sell my two in fact im after another if i can!

Large number of the yam framed ones are fakes {or home brew versions} thats why they only fetch

Only my opinion obviously but I think the Yam framed bike is nicer to ride than the Godden framed version. The Godden frame is actually heavier and whilst that itself isn't a problem it's the weight bias I didn't like. The Godden frame is very heavy on the front. The Yam frame is much lighter and makes it easier to lift and flick the front wheel around. I had one of each and preferred the Yam frame.

The issue of copies is a subjective one. The original Majesty is only a modified Yam TY250, obviously I'm not overlooking the development skill and knowhow involved in deciding what those modifications were. So if someone else at a later date has modified a standard TY250 into a Majesty copy and got all the dimensions correct, it wouldn't bother me that the bike wasn't originally done at Shirt's place. Obviously I'm not talking about amateur-hour lash-ups here, if a privately modified bike has the same spec and appearance of a Shirt modified bike it should perform the same and in the end they are for riding in competition. Therefore they should fetch the same as a Shirt bike to reflect their competitiveness as a trials bike over a standard TY? - look what modified (or even standard) TLR Hondas fetch and they have no provenance whatsoever. With the Majesty, it was only a few supported riders whose bikes had additional mods to steering, forks, porting etc.

Same could be said of a 'new' Majesty. No provenance, it isn't a real Majesty so why would they fetch more than an original Godden on which they are based? This isn't my opinion, I'm just playing devil's advocate on the subject of what something is worth.

In the end something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Your dead right, the yam framed ones are lighter and with the swingarm lengthened I dont think you really need to alter a standard frame that much,which is why alot of people stuck on a majesty tank laid the shocks down and away you go.

Stearing is fine as are the brakes and ground clearance the problem was always the dead 250 engine and the rubbish forks particularly the damping.

Ive had a go on a genuine yam modified framed 320 and it is more than adequate for todays sections.

As for the original Godden frames mine appears to be gas tube mig welded and nothing sophisticated at all , must have been cheaper and quicker than to alter the yam frames. The new Mawlem or Mata ones are absolutely georgeous brazed if not tig'd lovely tubing but they are what they are new and expensive which is probhably why any non yam framed majesty seems to fetch silly money.

The majesty seems to be regarded similarly as any works bike of the day and not a modified early seventies trail bike which is basically what they are.

Was a professional modification by a world class contender not a works mod in those days???

Yes definately, only difference was that you didnt have to be a superstar to own/ride one.

I suppose a bit like owning a Raga replica today

Your dead right, the yam framed ones are lighter and with the swingarm lengthened I dont think you really need to alter a standard frame that much,which is why alot of people stuck on a majesty tank laid the shocks down and away you go.

Stearing is fine as are the brakes and ground clearance the problem was always the dead 250 engine and the rubbish forks particularly the damping.

Ive had a go on a genuine yam modified framed 320 and it is more than adequate for todays sections.

As for the original Godden frames mine appears to be gas tube mig welded and nothing sophisticated at all , must have been cheaper and quicker than to alter the yam frames. The new Mawlem or Mata ones are absolutely georgeous brazed if not tig'd lovely tubing but they are what they are new and expensive which is probhably why any non yam framed majesty seems to fetch silly money.

The majesty seems to be regarded similarly as any works bike of the day and not a modified early seventies trail bike which is basically what they are.

All of this is down to personal preference,but even a standard TY250 in good shape is perfectly OK,in the south west you only have to watch riders like Barry Barthorpe to see what they are capable of.To say the engine is/was dead is unfair,there is enough reliable grunt for any of the twinshock sections around now,granted they dont have the zap of a modern Beta or Gasser - but to 99% of riders that is a handicap anyway.

The thing is that either a Maj or standard TY are as good as is needed for twinshock stuff every weekend of the year - wherever in the world you are,the few spares you need as we all know are in the most part cheap and easily available.

All of this is down to personal preference,but even a standard TY250 in good shape is perfectly OK,in the south west you only have to watch riders like Barry Barthorpe to see what they are capable of.To say the engine is/was dead is unfair,there is enough reliable grunt for any of the twinshock sections around now,granted they dont have the zap of a modern Beta or Gasser - but to 99% of riders that is a handicap anyway.

The thing is that either a Maj or standard TY are as good as is needed for twinshock stuff every weekend of the year - wherever in the world you are,the few spares you need as we all know are in the most part cheap and easily available.

I agree,they just seem to be detuned to much.

By the late seventies the fashion was to have big bore bikes like all of the spanish bikes,the ty 250 had to play catch me up to an extent hence the 320.

When i bought my 320 9 yrs ago i used a fully rebuilt 250 engine {all genuine parts} while i sourced a genuine dt360 piston to rebuild my 320 engine and no matter what i did ,26 or 28 mm carb, lighter /heavier flywheel , different reeds , holes in airbox etc it was flat as a spaniels ear so it got sold and every other 250 engine ive ridden has been the same, with the exception one in a godden frame that appears to me has had some porting done back in the day.

The 320 engine in my opinion is far better but is still not as good as the fantic engines they where competing against

Im not knocking ty's , I love them ive got four of them but the 250 engine is my least favourite engine out of them all even the ty80 engine seems more fit for purpose.

Hope i havn't offended any one from the south west as i married a Devonian and i'd hate to run a gauntlet the next time i do Exmoor/Dartmoor :D