White wonder or White elephant?

spawtydawg

Hi, I'm thinking of restoring an early 80's cota349, most people I talk to about 349's don't

rate them for various reasons. Now I know there are more competative bikes out there

( Fantics, Majesty's, etc ) and I realise trials have changed somewhat, but will a well sorted

"standard" 349 make a decent trials bike for twinshock type events? I'm not interested in faffing

about changing frame geometry and footpeg positions to make it better. In 1980 Ulf Karlson won

the worlds trial championship on One they can't be that bad can they? Any thoughts lads?

Cheers. :guinness:

They are just a bit long that's all, not as nimble as other bikes. Fine though for most of today's classic trials which are nowhere near as hard as centre/national trials of the day.

Don't forget that the bikes ridden by the factory riders could be nothing like the production versions.

They are just a bit long that's all, not as nimble as other bikes. Fine though for most of today's classic trials which are nowhere near as hard as centre/national trials of the day.

Don't forget that the bikes ridden by the factory riders could be nothing like the production versions.

Thanks for the reply Woody, I understand factory bikes could vary quite considerably from

production bikes but there must of been centre/national riders getting good results on shop

bought bikes. My knowledge and memory arn't good eneough to remember and as you say they

would of been doing sections that I would'nt dream of doing on a modern bike.

the lack of montesas in twinshock trials speaks volumes.. i've used a cota in 'modern' twinshock trials and won first time out. if your wanting to ride at club level then yes it'll be competative if its mechanically good above that level look elsewhere. on the other hand if in decent nick they represent excellent value for money cos bang per buck of purchase price they are probably the best beaten only by suzuki beamish which seem to go for nothing..

Take your piick from Fantic 200/240/300, 310/320 Armstrong, 320 Aprilia, 320 Garelli, 320 SWM, Cagiva 350

Daddy of the lot though would be a well set up 350 SWM Jumbo. Modern geometry, light front end that can be easily placed and one of the tourquiest trials motors you could wish for. Most powerful of the lot.

Take your piick from Fantic 200/240/300, 310/320 Armstrong, 320 Aprilia, 320 Garelli, 320 SWM, Cagiva 350

Daddy of the lot though would be a well set up 350 SWM Jumbo. Modern geometry, light front end that can be easily placed and one of the tourquiest trials motors you could wish for. Most powerful of the lot.

Isn't the jumbo difficult to get running well and keeping it so?

The jumbo is not as good as fantics for smaller more commonly found t/s sections?

Hi, I'm thinking of restoring an early 80's cota349, most people I talk to about 349's don't

rate them for various reasons.

I had the first and the last model 349. Of the first, the less said the better. The last was a much better bike BUT it had been eclipsed by the Fantics. Put simply riding a 349 against a Fantic 240 was like going to a gun fight armed with a knife.

You don't mean the very last 349 do you, as in the 349/4, MH349 and Cota 350 models, all essentially the same bike. They were good, better than the later 330 in my opinion, only let down by the clutch. Not as good as a Fantic I'll agree, but not that far away.

Isn't the jumbo difficult to get running well and keeping it so?

The jumbo is not as good as fantics for smaller more commonly found t/s sections?

It's definitely not a novice bike that's for sure, the power is incredible. However, with the timing retarded against the stops and a flywheel weight it can be trickled around on the throttle like a TY175. Open the throttle though and it's off. It will stand on the back wheel in 4th from tickover and makes even my ported 340 Sherpa feel like a 250 in terms of bottom end torque.

It's similar to the Sherpa in that the exhaust needs to be kept well packed otherwise the performance will go off. Other than that it is fine and totally unfussy. Just the typical Rotax clutch that lets it down.

I'd go as far as saying the chassis is a touch better than a Fantic, it steers/turns quicker, front end is much lighter and rear suspension action is just as good. Fine in nadgery stuff. Front forks a bit iffy but that can be sorted. It is more nervous and twitchy than a Fantic chassis though.

You don't mean the very last 349 do you, as in the 349/4, MH349 and Cota 350 models, all essentially the same bike. They were good, better than the later 330 in my opinion, only let down by the clutch. Not as good as a Fantic I'll agree, but not that far away.

Yup, that's the one Woody. The only problem I had with the clutch was that it would slip between sections.

At that time sections were changing and the new sections favoured bikes with a ight turning radius and less flywheel. Exactly the opposite to the the 349/4.

Im surprised people arn't already taking the SWM chassis for a blank canvas,may be that time will come.

When you look at one in bare bones they do look a much more advanced design than the Fantic.