Aircooled mono or twinshock?

fok

I did a bit of trials in the 80's on 70's twinshocks as they were all I could afford at the time and I've not ridden trials since but have done plenty of green laning and the odd enduro.

I realise that a very modern bike would probably be the best bet for ease of use but I have no desire to own one.......I just like aircooled traditional looking bikes so will stick with twinshock or aircooled mono class.

Would I notice much of a difference between riding an aircooled mono and a 70's/80's twinshock if both bikes were well maintained and sorted?

Will I make it easier on myself with a 90's mono bike or is the overall technology between the 80's & 90's bikes not that much different?

I want to do a few club trials to get back into it and have no desire for silverware. I have a garage queen Beamish, so will be buying another bike to get dirty.

Opinions welcomed..........

Thanks

I did a bit of trials in the 80's on 70's twinshocks as they were all I could afford at the time and I've not ridden trials since but have done plenty of green laning and the odd enduro.

I realise that a very modern bike would probably be the best bet for ease of use but I have no desire to own one.......I just like aircooled traditional looking bikes so will stick with twinshock or aircooled mono class.

Would I notice much of a difference between riding an aircooled mono and a 70's/80's twinshock if both bikes were well maintained and sorted?

Will I make it easier on myself with a 90's mono bike or is the overall technology between the 80's & 90's bikes not that much different?

I want to do a few club trials to get back into it and have no desire for silverware. I have a garage queen Beamish, so will be buying another bike to get dirty.

Opinions welcomed..........

Thanks

not sure on the other side of the pond but here there is no air cooled mono class like we have for the twinshock bikes, you have to compete against modern bikes, most air cooled mono's are in my opinion better than the early twinshock bikes such as the TY250/350 or beta TR34, not sure on the SWM's, but I think a twinshock SWM or Fantic would go head to head with most any aircooled mono of the same time period

Edited by MotoVintage

There's a very good reason why the monoshock Yamaha rendered twinshocks obsolete overnight, mainly to do with finding grip.

You will notice the difference. Not to mention being a bit easier on the old back, though a modern monoshock is even better from that point of view with its more upright riding position.

Edited by 2/4

We have an over 50 class for any mono's here at Bath Classic which seems to suit some of the older riders who find older,heavier stuff too much.A Yam mono - ty250R or S would be a great bike in that class,(Best trials bike ever built in my humble opinion.) still easy and cheap to buy/run and pretty much unbreakable.(I tried my best with mine and it would not give up.)

• 1 month later...

We have an over 50 class for any mono's here at Bath Classic which seems to suit some of the older riders who find older,heavier stuff too much.A Yam mono - ty250R or S would be a great bike in that class,(Best trials bike ever built in my humble opinion.) still easy and cheap to buy/run and pretty much unbreakable.(I tried my best with mine and it would not give up.)

I agree the ty mono is pretty much indestuctable, i knew a guy that did a trial every weekend for years and never put a spanner to it, he didnt even wash it and it just kept going!! TY 250 MONO = HARD AS NAILS!