Beta Rev 3 - Water in gearbox oil - Help please

pauldalgarno

Hi folks, As above I've got water in the gearbox oil of my Beta Rev 3 250 (2005). Changed the oil, but back again immediately.

My thinking is it's probably a water pump seal, but thought I'd garner opinion before stripping it down.

Bike runs OK, and no overheating, so I'm assuming it's not a cylinder head gasket or O-ring up the top end.

Any other potential causes or advice?

Cheers,

Paul

If you're lucky and catch it fairly early then liquid metal and a new water pump seal can do the trick. Worked on my 08 250.

cheers

John

Cheers folks, whipped the cover off and looked behind the impeller - wish I hadn't, it's riddled with holes :(

Is there an anti-freeze that is non-corrosive for the new one? Looks like magnesium to me.

Apparently it's the regular change of the antifreeze that's important. You are supposed to change every year to avoid this. I would use std bike antifreeze and regular change (or buy a Scorpa SY200 like I did to eliminate any watercooling problems !! :D )

cheers

John