sherco 290 ssdt 2011 conking out

jeeves88

Now all, new bike to me and got used to it and today been giving it bit of welly and 3 times its conked out, seperate occasions. Feels like runing out of fuel, wondered if pump aint keeping up with fuel? Starts first kick after

Cheers for any ideas chris

Chances are it's the breather pipe blocked or nipped.

Easy cure is to discard the one way valve, shorten the pipe and route it out of the rear under the mudguard.

Often the breather gets crushed under the aluminium tag that keeps the pipe in place under the mudguard

Define "bit of welly"!

Of course, ck your tank vent as stated, yet my current understanding is something along the lines of "The bike will ot run road trials or long extended uphill pulls without increasing the size of the float jet"(needle and seat)to allow more fuel in vs the stock configuration which is fine for (other than listed).

I am not sure the magic number on this, I heard #250 and higher I think. Might message Splatshop Chris and get his take on it.

fitted a 300 float valve to my 250 copey, a 250 flost valve is what it came with. As I had a 300 from a previous bike I just fitted it anyway.

other problem is the std fuel filter is rubbish, the one between the tank and the fuel pump, so i would change that as well if I was you.

Chances are it's the breather pipe blocked or nipped.

Easy cure is to discard the one way valve, shorten the pipe and route it out of the rear under the mudguard.

Often the breather gets crushed under the aluminium tag that keeps the pipe in place under the mudguard

Rich is right. I had the same problem. Just check to see whether the breather is kinked under the mudguard.

fitted a 300 float valve to my 250 copey, a 250 flost valve is what it came with. As I had a 300 from a previous bike I just fitted it anyway.

other problem is the std fuel filter is rubbish, the one between the tank and the fuel pump, so i would change that as well if I was you.

Glen, I doo recall you saying something about the #300 sometime back. Have you had any problem with downhill fuel surge with it?

Seems the #250 was standard on my '07 gravity feed bike, I never had problems, but don't do road trials either.

I am still trying to get my hear around all this, as being pressure fed nor with the pump, and supposedly an inline damping orface to prevent overpowering the float valve, it gets a bit thick.

The fellow I was chatting with may have got his numbers crossed on the valve, yet did mention the Kiehin did not seem to have a problem handling all this, and thus ,I presume same would apply to OKO. Reasons for the Kiehin on Cabby bike and Wigg as well as I understand, as all this may well directly relate to the RED carbs as such.

Glen, I doo recall you saying something about the #300 sometime back. Have you had any problem with downhill fuel surge with it?

Seems the #250 was standard on my '07 gravity feed bike, I never had problems, but don't do road trials either.

I am still trying to get my hear around all this, as being pressure fed nor with the pump, and supposedly an inline damping orface to prevent overpowering the float valve, it gets a bit thick.

The fellow I was chatting with may have got his numbers crossed on the valve, yet did mention the Kiehin did not seem to have a problem handling all this, and thus ,I presume same would apply to OKO. Reasons for the Kiehin on Cabby bike and Wigg as well as I understand, as all this may well directly relate to the RED carbs as such.

I didnt have a problem downhill when the 300 valve was in my Gas Gas but the sherco did run rich dropping down the hills in the ssdt with the bigger valve fitted. Might have just wanted the float tweaking due to the bigger holes in the 300 valve but thats probably the only trial with such long descents so i'm tempted to leave it.

Even with the 300 valve it did run lean on the road after a while but the 290s didnt seem to have that problem, the 290 comes with the VHST carb rather than the PHBL. Again though its not going to be a problem in 99% of trials.

I have a keihin in the garage so might try that anyway just to see what its like.