03 sherco bar risers ?

myzeneye

guys, ive got an 03 sherco 250, i think id benefit from a higer rise in the bars.....

im not sure what the rise in the standard bars that came on the bike as standard are / if any one knows can they let me know as im not sure how best to accuratley measure them to work this out.....

i understand renthal do a bar with a 6" rise so id like to know what the standard bars are to make a comparrison before i order any online (no local shops)

i looked on splatshop as advised in a previous thread but all they had to offer where for 07 bikes onwards and nothing for the 03 model.....

the problem i see is that the factory standard bar clamp has the bottom clamp moulded into the top fork yolk... is there a speacially designed adapter to allow you to raise the bar height ?

any help is greatly recieved as i tend to ride a little heavy on the wrists due to being of a long arrangutan like build....

thanks

edit : ive seen these and the adaptor looks about right to sit inside my bottom clamp etc but as far as i can tell this kit is only available to upgrade to fat bars, which is an added cost again.....can i get a kit like this which will take my standard bars ?

clamps- fat bars

Edited by myzeneye

right, chris from splat says standard bars on the 03 sherco are approx 4.5 - 5" rise......... can anyone say if they've upgraded from this hight to a 5.5 or 6" rise and does the one inch in rise make much of a differance to ride comfort etc.....

i know its all different for every shape of rider etc, but i just wonder what spending 40 odd quid on a set of bars to get a rise of one inch will do ?

have you done it, did it make it any easier on your wrists ?

I'm 6ft 2" and have an '05 sherco. I found my wrists were getting a bit sore whilst riding the bike with the standard bars.

Then at one trial i started moving the brake & clutch levers slightly up then slightly down just to see what difference it made......suddenly the wrist ache disappeared!

I was thinking about higher bars but now i'll leave everything alone while it's working.

None them look quite right to me.

I you want higher bars, the Renthal's or others in 5.5 or 6 I would think. There is a spec chart(or was) on the renthal site, but as I recall, the actual difference in rise between a 5.0,5.5 and 6.0 is 10mm each, for a difference of 20mm between a 5.0 and 6.0.

I have a beautiful new set(as spare) of Blue Renthal 5.5's,HRC specials that I canna longer use cause of the newer fatbar bike, that need a good home for less than my cost. Pity is the box to uk is cost prohibitive, but if any on this side want them they would be a good bargain. :rolleyes:

thanks for the info guys.......

copemech, shame your just a bit too far away...hahaha

t-shock...... im 6'2" aswell.... ill give the brake/cluth lever hights a go as you say.... i presume you set yours down ?

i think a set of renthal 5.5 or 6" is gonna be the option.... allthough ive never seen or noticed any on any bikes... do they look like ape hangers ? hahhaha

thanks for the info guys.......

copemech, shame your just a bit too far away...hahaha

t-shock...... im 6'2" aswell.... ill give the brake/cluth lever hights a go as you say.... i presume you set yours down ?

i think a set of renthal 5.5 or 6" is gonna be the option.... allthough ive never seen or noticed any on any bikes... do they look like ape hangers ? hahhaha

Na, you are onlt talking 10 or 20mm here.

The standard recco is get your bars up to verticle or beyond as looking down on them with you onit. Levers down just a bit from level, but not down. Lets you stretch out a bit and room to move on the thing. Weight on legs! Feet to steer first, bars follow the lean, practice! :thumbup:

A friend of mine is 6ft.2 and suffered the same problems, he also found that his body weight was too far over the front with the small bars and if he changed his riding position to compensate his wrist would soon start to hurt. So he put the 6" bars on his bike and it made a world of difference.. the bike looks no different with them fitted, so don't worry about looking like something off American chopper :thumbup:

Edited by tricks

A friend of mine is 6ft.2 and suffered the same problems, he also found his body weight was too far over the front with the small bars and if changed his riding position to compensate his wrist would soon start to hurt. So he put the 6" bars on his bike and it made a world of difference.. the bike looks no different with them fitted especially, so don't worry about looking like something off American chopper :thumbup:

nice one guys.... i reckon ill give the 6" renthals a go..... :thumbup:

will report back here with results.....

also, before i buy some..... pro-taper or renthals ? they seem to be the two on offer ?

Edited by myzeneye

• 3 months later...

nice one guys.... i reckon ill give the 6" renthals a go..... :thumbup:

will report back here with results.....

also, before i buy some..... pro-taper or renthals ? they seem to be the two on offer ?

How did you get on ?

After a trip to cowm quarry and sore wrists for a day I dedcided to try risers.

Theres already a 5mm spacer under the clamp, dunno if this is standard, but I've just made and fitted 20mm risers, so a rise of 15mm.

I have nothing to report yet as I haven't tried them.

They look strange at the moment though as they're rectangular still, I will make them eliptical after testing them out..if I like them and it makes a difference.

The front of the bike felt really heavy so hopefully a 15mm rise will make the world of difference and push my weight back a bit.

I will let you know !!!!!