Under powered rev3

lee22

Hi folks, I bought a 06 270 rev3 a year ago. Love the bike. I've rode two other beta's of a similar age and mine seems to be a good bit under powered. I want to freshen the engine up and want to know what I'd be best to do. Am thinking of putting a new set of rings on the piston or maybe a complete new piston and rings. Any advice on what would be the best would be great.

Lee

Hi folks, I bought a 06 270 rev3 a year ago. Love the bike. I've rode two other beta's of a similar age and mine seems to be a good bit under powered. I want to freshen the engine up and want to know what I'd be best to do. Am thinking of putting a new set of rings on the piston or maybe a complete new piston and rings. Any advice on what would be the best would be great.

Lee

Could be many things but, assuming all settings are correct, go for the cheapest option first and fit a set of crankshaft seals. it should be possible to do these without splitting the cases?

Hi

has the engine been deliberatly "softened" by a previous owner. A list of possibles including some previous suggestions.

Low compression:-

--try a compression test

----someone fitted a head spacer (should be visible)

----someone fitted extra base gaskets

----Rings worn out (measure the ring end gap)

----scored or worn cylinder

Other stuff

--someone fitted a inlet tract spacer in front of the reed block

--retarded ignition

--Need to repack the exhaust (is it louder than others)

--Bad jetting (does it smoke, not rev out or hesitate)

--clogged air filter

--crankshaft seals (irratic tickover, or smoking engine, or oil in the flywheel area)

--Damaged reed petals (hard to start)

regards

Dom

Thanks for all the replys. I've done most of the obvious things like repacked the exhaust and cleaned the filter. Don't think it anything like reeds or gaskets cause the bike goes ok just seems to be down on power. Ask the previous owner to see if he had done anything but hadn't. Think I might take the barrel off at the weekend and have a look at the cylinder and piston. What's the best way to do this apart from takin the whole engine out?

Thanks again for the help.

Gday, have you cleaned the front parts of the exhaust? If not, do this first before stripping it. There are many threads on how to do this in the beta forum here. Afterwards, check compression - dont strip it just yet until you have eliminated all the easy stuff!

Cheers,

Stork

Gday, have you cleaned the front parts of the exhaust? If not, do this first before stripping it. There are many threads on how to do this in the beta forum here. Afterwards, check compression - dont strip it just yet until you have eliminated all the easy stuff!

Cheers,

Stork

Thanks no havent cleaned the front part. I`ll take it off tonight and have a check.

Also check to see if your friends have the white "fast" throttle tube and you have the "slow" black throttle tube. I find after 4 years of constant riding a set of rings restores the power quite nicely. New piston isn't needed unless you pull the cylinder and find visible damage.

• 3 months later...

Hi

has the engine been deliberatly "softened" by a previous owner. A list of possibles including some previous suggestions.

Low compression:-

--try a compression test

----someone fitted a head spacer (should be visible)

----someone fitted extra base gaskets

----Rings worn out (measure the ring end gap)

----scored or worn cylinder

Other stuff

--someone fitted a inlet tract spacer in front of the reed block

--retarded ignition

--Need to repack the exhaust (is it louder than others)

--Bad jetting (does it smoke, not rev out or hesitate)

--clogged air filter

--crankshaft seals (irratic tickover, or smoking engine, or oil in the flywheel area)

--Damaged reed petals (hard to start)

regards

Dom

Where can I find a specification for ring end gap for a 250? In particular, what is the service limit? I assume, a minimum gap would be about 0.015". 0.050 would exceed the service limit but what about 0.030"?