Rocks and double blip

When watching people who can get over rocks, double blipping they make it look so slow and their body doing the work and not so much the power of the bike.also how theres a split second they leave the front wheel on the rock it looks like it aids them to keep the front wheel up when ontop of the rock. For me it all happens so fast but Ive been practicing today and the way im doing it i blip once to get front wheel on rock then touch back break to slow the bike after you raised the wheel then go again with another blip and push up with my body. I feel more controlled and it doesnt seem everything is happening to fast. Is this the correct way using a slight bit of rear brake after the first blip once the wheel is on the rock

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When watching people who can get over rocks, double blipping they make it look so slow and their body doing the work and not so much the power of the bike.also how theres a split second they leave the front wheel on the rock it looks like it aids them to keep the front wheel up when ontop of the rock. For me it all happens so fast but Ive been practicing today and the way im doing it i blip once to get front wheel on rock then touch back break to slow the bike after you raised the wheel then go again with another blip and push up with my body. I feel more controlled and it doesnt seem everything is happening to fast. Is this the correct way using a slight bit of rear brake after the first blip once the wheel is on the rock

are you attacking it too fast .? you should touch front wheel compress shocks then blip ,and pop clutch it should be slow motion if all timed good...

I guess it's OK if it works for you...

Never heard of it, though.

What you should probably try to do, though, is loft your front wheel using almost no throttle so you don't speed up too much..

Dip your knees and shut off, then give the smallest amount of throttle and get your weight back and the front will come up.

I'm always shocked at how little throttle the real good guys use.

i dont attack it hard and all i give is the very smallest of blips. am i doing it wrong maybe by loading my front suspension too hard when just setting my front wheel on the rock? i feel as though as soon as my wheels on the rock i have to blip my throttle again to go at it otherwise ill be too far forward? today when using my rear brake i felt i had that slight little bit more time to get into position to push up the rock and try to use more technique than power. i dont want to pick up bad habbits though so whatever works for me isnt the option i really want to take if its wrong.

check out this vid at 40 seconds in to understand what im trying to explain.. is that really done without any rear brake use? it seems as though theres a point the bike is stationary with the wheel on the rock before he goes up the rock

even better toni bou himself... the first rock. its as though theres a slight pause before you begin the second part of getting up the rock. i cant seem to get that position, my bike seems to be constantly moving forward

maybe its the position of my wheel? im trying to touch it at the peak of the rock, the corner as much? should be be hitting it further down so i cant ride forward from it?

Can you show us a video of what you're experiencing?

I'm no expert, but I find that there is a difference between plonking (technical term :D )the front wheel down onto the obstacle or driving the wheel in to the obstacle?!

notice how more faster i am and less controlled?

well ive been trying to use both techniques on a rock and cant do either and im baffled as to what i am doing wrong. i cant seem to push up onto the rock to clear it.. it all happens so fast and i feel uncontrolled and cant seem to slow it down, if i do i dont even get half as far

do you see what i mean about how i cannot get my back wheel ontop of it? using the rear brake to slow it down like in the first videos with the pipe seems more controlled but only when practicing on those pipes.. looking at them now over video it seems im more just riding up them rather than using technique? can anyone spwend any time to explain what it is im doing wrong? not enough power? bending knees? leaning back? front wheel placement?

Looking at your videos there, it seems that you are placing the front wheel on top of the step, this will not preload the suspension enough.

Try again on a bigger step and touch the front wheel just below the top of the step, no back brake required.

If you're going to put your wheel down on top, you really have to shut off hard and drop your wheel so the suspension compresses.

There's a vid of Ryan Young doing this in an exaggerated way on a small log, but it's a good illustration.

Otherwise, as said above, you need to drive your wheel into the obstacle near the top.

Either way, when you're shutting off, it doesn't appear to me that you're compressing the suspension enough to drive the bike up and over when you do the 2nd blip and unload.

Also...from looking at the 2nd vid, you may need to get closer to the obstacle before you lift the front wheel.

Lift the wheel at about the same distance as the obstacle is tall.

Hey, thanks for the explination. Ill try all of the help youve given me and hopefully get the hang of it! I really want to buy ryan youngs dvds as i know theyll be helpful but its just having the spare money at the min as ive had so many things to buy. Wish i bought it last year instead of getting the around trials dvd