Compression Fork Oil Height -Rev3

deminimis

This has been covered, but there is some conflicting info around regarding the oil height on the compression side of things. My service manual has an image clearly showing the spring in the fork tube when measuring the air gap at 120mm ( I chose to use the air gap method instead of measuring volume). However, I've read more than once that to get the accurate measurement, it needs to be done without the spring in fork tube. Did mine last night without the spring, and it feels about right (in the shop, haven't ridden it yet). So, I guess I'm just looking to clarify that the 120mm measurement is, in fact, done without the spring in place, right? 2008 Rev3 270. Thanks!

I have never seen a figure quoted other than with spring out. If we think about it then, as we're going to the millimetre, we would need to ensure we had the spring in the correct way up (in the case of a progressively wound spring) and that is never mentioned. Have you any idea how much oil you put in? If close to the recommended then you know you are right as you are.

Thanks. Nope, didn't measure volume. I haven't read about leaving the spring in either, it's just the image in the service manual showed the measurement of 120mm, but the image also showed the spring in place, which was a little concerning. Perhaps the spring in the image was to indicate it was the compression side. Who knows. That manual -Geeszch. Anyway, thanks for the reply and I'm not going to fret about it as looks like I measured correctly. Thanks again.

Well I take that back, actually, here's the language from the manual:

Left shaft

To replace the oil, proceed as follows:

1) Remove the front wheel

2) Remove the handlebar (see pag. 65)

3) Unloose the shaft lock the screws A

4) Unscrew slider plug

5) Remove the spring and totally empty

the oil

6) Reset the spring and fill with oil

(OJ01 ) up to the level indicated in

figure

Humm, well, I'm not going to worry about it. Seems to work correctly.

Edited by deminimis