COTA 247 Gearbox oil

taylo63

• 9 years later...

I have a mk 3 cota, gear lever on the right.  It has an issue with when starting the clutch slips and the kickstart wont engage. Its hit and miss, getting slightly better when warmed up. I have been told it could be as simple as the wrong oil.. looking at it now stripped its =ATF red. The engine was rebuilt not by me and the metal plates look good.. So tempted just to clean the plates and rebuild, but researching it seem 10/30 for the clutch is used.. does it really have a bearing on the issue ie 10/30 or ATF or could there be other issues.Further to plates I have been told.. that the all metal plates are not the best and there are better options now avaliable..

Thanks

1 hour ago, metisse said:

I have a mk 3 cota, gear lever on the right.  It has an issue with when starting the clutch slips and the kickstart wont engage. Its hit and miss, getting slightly better when warmed up. I have been told it could be as simple as the wrong oil.. looking at it now stripped its =ATF red. The engine was rebuilt not by me and the metal plates look good.. So tempted just to clean the plates and rebuild, but researching it seem 10/30 for the clutch is used.. does it really have a bearing on the issue ie 10/30 or ATF or could there be other issues.Further to plates I have been told.. that the all metal plates are not the best and there are better options now avaliable..

Thanks

Clutch slip on an all-metal clutch is not likely to be due to the type of oil. 

I suggest first checking for free play in release mechanism (most likely cause)

If it's not that cause, consider that your motor has been rebuilt and the force needed to kick it over is greater than before the rebuild so if they used the same old plates and springs, it could just be that the springs are a bit tired/sagged/short and were adequate for the worn motor but not now.

• Like 1

I use Motul 10W 30 transoil in the clutch 200 ml SAE 75/90 gearbox oil 300 ml. Clutch drag is more normally the issue on a 247 Cota. Make sure you have enough free play on the clutch cable and the clutch is not already partially engaged. If you have replaced the bronze pusher at all that the clutch arm operates on if you use one with a larger length it may preload the clutch too. I suspect it is more likely to be weakened clutch springs that have lost length and strength over the years. If the oil change and flush out do not solve the issue the clutch casing will have to come off and check everything is to factory specification. I have a manual if you need any figures.

Gearbox oil should be GL4 spec as it is suitable for yellow metal bushes and not GL5 which 90s is. GL5 oil should not be used with yellow metal bush bearings. This applies to not just the Montesa but any gearbox used for any application which has yellow metal bushes.

Edited by trialsrfun