right gearbox oil

curt531

Hi folks, just purchased a used sherco 290 2011. just performed major clean & grease of everything including changing the gear oil,I have used a 10w40 as recomended in the manuel but now when I shift from 1st to 2nd I get neutrel every time, did'nt do it before so it must be the oil. I have used Motul V300 which I have used on my mx & road bikes in the past,first time I have had this problem. any body have a similar experiance ?

Not sure I would directly relate any of this to the oil viscosity, however when passing through neutral, you kinda need to find a bit of positive second click to insure proper engagement. Usually best done while rolling a bit, and if unsure, go back to neutral and then get the positive click for change.

If done passively, one could get a false enguagment. :rolleyes:

Not sure I would directly relate any of this to the oil viscosity,

I agree, however the bike has gone from slick shifts to feeling stiff with only changing the oil, only rode the bike out side my house at the moment as I have just got it, what product are other people using ?

Hi,

I have 2004 and initially I was using light gear oil, as I do in my MX bike, but the cold sticking clutch was really bad so I changed to using a standard cheap 10W40 (Carlube 10W40) motor oil after reading in a forum and checking with a few of mates. I've been using this for a while now and it seems to have eased the cold sticking and the changes seem much smoother.

Cheap and worth a try.....

Hi folks, just purchased a used sherco 290 2011. just performed major clean & grease of everything including changing the gear oil,I have used a 10w40 as recomended in the manuel but now when I shift from 1st to 2nd I get neutrel every time, did'nt do it before so it must be the oil. I have used Motul V300 which I have used on my mx & road bikes in the past,first time I have had this problem. any body have a similar experiance ?

I've just switched from Ipone to Putoline Light. Still a little sticky when cold, but much better.

I find it really difficult to get neutral whatever oil I have in my 11 290, Strange? All the shercos have good gearboxes it may well be your technique, what bike did you have before?

I agree, however the bike has gone from slick shifts to feeling stiff with only changing the oil, only rode the bike out side my house at the moment as I have just got it, what product are other people using ?

For the most part here, we use Maxima 75 ,

Your mileage may vary. In finding a really good action in it all, I cannot deny the Dan Williams polishing mods as posted in the Beta threads have good results on the Sherco as well. The systems are very similar and seem to share the same friction plates.

A lot of this is a bit to taste as well, as I have used ATF in the past, yet the thinner oil does seem to yield a bit snappier clutch that some may prefer, and others not.

Being an odd oldie, mine is just set different with the Dan mods done, 2 springs out for the featherlite lever, and the Merc synthetic ATF. No cold stick for over a year now, good progression for anything I want, yet still a good Pop when needed, and without slip. Mind you none of this for the high level riders, as they will push it too hard probabably and slip the thing till toast on the plates. Gear selection superb, as little drag, yet still use proper style.

Pick your own poison here!