Am I correct?

chr155_d

There is a difference....whether it matters to your bike is a different story.

Coils like to "see" a particular resistance.

We old timers remember when points went and electronic ignitions came in.

Many electronic ignition coils wouldn't work with copper core wire. They needed carbon core due to the resistance.

That being said...I'm pretty sure I ran some "R" plugs in my Sherco with no ill effects.

Cheers guys, I think I ran an ngk-r in one of my old sherco's aswell with no ill effect,

Since this bike is fairly new I will just sell these r plugs to a gasser owner at the next trial,

I also tried an iridium core plug at the pollock trial and it got far to hot and stopped working, was taking it easy on the revs aswell,

Then put a bp5es in and done 2 laps no bother,

So I think the moral of this story is stick to the plug in the book, although mine did come from the dealer with a champion plug which I swapped out straight away!

If you can still get them there, the BP5EVX platinum plug (non resistor) is the way to go it seems to me. Mine has been in the bike since '07 without issue.

As far as plug maintenance, I think it important to get some heat in the motor on most all outings, and a good run through the gears and some high revs to keep things burnt off and cleaned out for both the sake of the plug and the muff system. Found no need for greater than 80:1 ratio of good oil(that fouls plugs) and many putters and punters could go leaner than that.

We might call this the low colesteral plug diet, with reduced intake and regular exercise! :thumbup:

If you can still get them there, the BP5EVX platinum plug (non resistor) is the way to go

I second that motion :thumbup:

But make sure you gap the plug ... very carefully :unsure:

Best of balance.

Neo

you need to set the gap between the electrodes to about 25 thou.

I'm petty sure the platinum and iridium plugs have a very small center electrode and a very thick outer electrode, and I think the manufacturers advise against changing the gap.

Even a little carelessness with the feeler gauge could damage the fragile center electrode.

The gap can be adjusted if you are very careful.

I'm petty sure the platinum and iridium plugs have a very small center electrode and a very thick outer electrode, and I think the manufacturers advise against changing the gap.

Even a little carelessness with the feeler gauge could damage the fragile center electrode.

The gap can be adjusted if you are very careful.

All plugs come from factory in a generic preset gap which may not apply to your application(ie trials bike). They may be abused in shipment ahd handling, and the gap should always be checked.

Even the platinum plugs can be adjusted easily, just don't pry on the center electrode. Just tap on the outer (large electrode) lightly till gap is achieved, which is generally accepted at 0.6mm on these bikes( or as Dabster suggested at .025 in., and still contrary to the last(old) factory spec I seen at .020(0.5mm)they work fine. Same for the standard plug, platinum or irridium resistor. Pick your own poison in the cost, but if you got a fine plug ang do not take care of it I doubt you will find your money's worth cause you fouled it! :thumbup: