Ethanol fuel additives

yeogene

Well I have just finished replacing the rubber 'O' rings in the fuel system on my BMW street bike, and another carb clean on my Scorpa SY250F. When I drained the fuel from my Scorpa I drained it into a clear glass jar, after two days it had about 1/2" of a creamy colored substance at the bottom of the jar. I suspect it is the ethanol with contaminants form the fuel system and water. My local parts supplier recommends a Lucas additive that I have just added. Any experience with fuel additives that work? Cleaning cabs after pushing the bike out of the woods is not my idea of a fun trials. I do not want to think about replacing the tanks on my vintage bikes with plastic tanks.

Donot allow the alcohol indused fuels in the old glass tanks! Source race fuel or avgas, of noa alc farm fuel for race bikes. Good luck on the beemer.

The alc is inert up to the stage where is has reached its absorbancy level and will condense with the water and separate as stated. Nasty stuff! :thumbup:

:agreed: Befreind the fuel man at your local small airport ... Ave.gas works great , stores almost forever , and compared to the problems you encounter with ethanol fuels , will be cheaper in the long run !

Heck it even works great in my lawnmower and my kids clone powered oval dirt track go kart ...(not a toy ! :)) I even sneek it into our spec Miata race cars and always run it for the local autocrosses too !

Glenn B)

Edited by axulsuv

I also have some doubt's about the new fuel "blending" and therefor

switched to a derivative fuel.

I came to this fuel from working with my clearing saw and chain saw.

The gasoline is based on alcylat there is no ethanol in the fuel.

Best thing is you can store it in years, is burns with less carbonate,

don't harm plastic or alloy parts and does not smoke.

It does cost more then normal gasoline but how much gas do you need

for a trials machine..., and you can put in in your chain saw,

lawn mower, ... too.

The normal Aspen gasoline fuel you get have only 95 Oktan,

the gasoline for motorcycles is called Aspen+ has arpond 98 oktan,

(you will have to rjet your carb with normal Aspen or Aspen+)

I take AspenR wich has 102 oktan and you can fill it everywhere without

any jetting changes or thingking about if it has the right oktan number ...

It works for my bikes: Bultaco, KTM, Yamaha,

chain saw and clearing saw, both Husqvarna,

lawn mover: with Briggs and Stratton engine

Information:

AspenR

Aspen+

Edited by PSchrauber

• 1 month later...

Well I have just finished replacing the rubber 'O' rings in the fuel system on my BMW street bike, and another carb clean on my Scorpa SY250F. When I drained the fuel from my Scorpa I drained it into a clear glass jar, after two days it had about 1/2" of a creamy colored substance at the bottom of the jar. I suspect it is the ethanol with contaminants form the fuel system and water. My local parts supplier recommends a Lucas additive that I have just added. Any experience with fuel additives that work? Cleaning cabs after pushing the bike out of the woods is not my idea of a fun trials. I do not want to think about replacing the tanks on my vintage bikes with plastic tanks.

There has been a lot of discussion on Trials Central about all of the damage and possible solutions to the ethanol problem especially in small engines in the past. Type in ethanol in the search bar and you can get all you need to know about the ethanol problem. Many of your fellow competitors in D-4 have switched over to avgas 100 both with and/or without stabilizer added. Pure gas has not been obtainable in D-4 for more than a year. The largest Trials bike dealer in the district has been using Avgas 100 for a couple of years with excellent results. I have been using avgas 100 with stabil for some time for all of my small engine equipment (bikes, lawnmower, ORV, etc). It is available in all of the big box stores and car parts stores in the Rochester area. Starbrite is another possibility and is also available in the stores mentioned. You will save yourself a lot of time and expense maintaining your bikes if you stay away from ethanol based gas.

Edited by barcota