TY175 gearchange mod issue

kimpybugalugs

Hi All

I've just got round to fitting the Trail & Trials UK gear change mod for the TY175 after having it sitting around for 6 months.

I took all the old bits out, put the new bits in and followed the instructions.

The gear lever no longer slops around like it used to. BUT - now I am having trouble selecting a gear.

The leaver goes down to a stop or up to a stop but doesn't take bike out of neutral.

Before I go back and start all over again does anyone have any tips/advice/etc?

Thanks in advance.

I had similar results with the renewal kit I purchased from them as well. The problem with the one I recieved was that the new stainless bushing was not pressed into the gearcase cover correctly as it looked like the leaning tower if you had it sitting on a table so when I would snug up the cover screws it would bind the shift shaft and you could shift it out of neutral into 1st or 2nd but it would not release to grab another gear. You may want to make sure the bushing is true in the case or leave all the new parts that are in the kit in place and put your old cover on and see if it shifts, if it does then you may have the same problem I had.

I had similar results with the renewal kit I purchased from them as well. The problem with the one I recieved was that the new stainless bushing was not pressed into the gearcase cover correctly as it looked like the leaning tower if you had it sitting on a table so when I would snug up the cover screws it would bind the shift shaft and you could shift it out of neutral into 1st or 2nd but it would not release to grab another gear. You may want to make sure the bushing is true in the case or leave all the new parts that are in the kit in place and put your old cover on and see if it shifts, if it does then you may have the same problem I had.

I've had a response from John at Trail & Trial - he's sugested a few things to try - so hopefully that'll fix it

The part appears to be very good quality and as usual - excellent support from John Cane. I reckon it's worth it if yours is as knackered as mine was. I'm hoping to try John's suggestions one night this week otherwise it'll be the weekend.

So, the suggestion from John Cane was have you tried it with the engine running? I hadn't but what possible difference could that make?

A lot of difference as it happens....

.... I fired the bike up and the gear change worked perfectly straight away.

Now I feel rather stupid but am happy to recommend this mod to anyone with the sloppy gear lever.

Thanks John. I'll be calling you soon for gearing advice and to place another order.

I quizzed them about your comments. As I have had nothing but excellent service from them and have recommended them to many of the guys I ride with in NZ.

They tell me that there was a problem with your one and that the problem was rectified two years ago with a new jig.

They also said they offered you a replacement and refund of freight costs but you wanted a refund because you had a mate that would make one for the price of a burger and fries:

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/35821-ty175-shifter-shaft/

I have seen a locally done one here (in NZ) but it looked rough and did not come with the extra bits in the T & T kit.

Have you checked the bolt that is above the selector drum on the outside of the casing, it holds a ball and spring that holds the drum in neutral. if its faulty then it wont help with selecting neutral. just a thought.

Have you checked the bolt that is above the selector drum on the outside of the casing, it holds a ball and spring that holds the drum in neutral. if its faulty then it wont help with selecting neutral. just a thought.

Hi Andy

Thanks for your input. All is working perfectly.

As you're on here - what spockets are you running? I've done similar mods to yours (boyesens, uni filter, Sammy Miller tail pipe, pilot jet increase) and am currently running 13/52. I've got the option for new sprockets of 11,12 or 13 for front and 51 for rear and am not sure what way to go?

Hi Andy

Thanks for your input. All is working perfectly.

As you're on here - what spockets are you running? I've done similar mods to yours (boyesens, uni filter, Sammy Miller tail pipe, pilot jet increase) and am currently running 13/52. I've got the option for new sprockets of 11,12 or 13 for front and 51 for rear and am not sure what way to go?

I have the 12 and 51 set up,works for me. A mate did try the 11 front but the bike tended to rear up on occasions on steep hill climbs.