Colmore Cup Centenary Revisitment Event.

pete_scorpa3

The Stratford-Upon-Avon Club held a social event on Saturday 9th July to celebrate the centenary year of the Colmore Cup trial.

I estimate that around 170 trials enthusiasts including five previous winners of the trial took part in the event which visited many of the locations once used in the Colmore.

Riding or driving any type of machine, the entrants were taken on 60+ mile loop of the Cotswold Hills and with an 'on road' route and a 'off road' route, there was something for everyone.

Towards the end of the event, entrants gathered together near to a location named Camp, first used in the Colmore in 1936 and for many years until it a new owner withdrew the option to ride there.

With grateful permission given to visit Camp granted just one more time for the Centenary revisitment, a section used in throughout the 1950 and 60's was marked out and the past winners and other notables were given the chance to ride the Colmore one last time.

With an appreciative and most enthusiastic crowd lining both sides of the section, Ron Langston was first to ride up. Here is a short video of the famous riders in action, look out for Ron, Gordon Jackson, Gordon Blakeway and others. You may also spots a few very famous machines.

Remember, most of these riders were competing 50 years ago!!!

The Past Winners taking a round of applause at the end of the day.

IMG_0373.jpg

Ron Langston on GOV130

IMG_0343.jpg

A group of riders on Meon Hill overlooking the Vale of Evesham.

IMG_0304.jpg

Lunch Break at Broadway Tower.

IMG_0320.jpg

John Preston on his BSA trials sidecar.

IMG_0335.jpg

Thanks to the members of the Stratford-Upon-Avon Club who worked so hard to run the event, it was a day to remember.

Pete

Just want to say a huge thank you for a great weekend - three of us travelled down from Scotland and were made so welcome by everyone. So many good bits (particularly the hilltop tracks looking down over the Cotswolds; chugging through ancient villages; getting up a long muddy track sideways flat out in 2nd while Davy and Ian fell of their bikes laughing; and nearly making it up Camp engulfed in a trail of Castrol R smoke); - the only frustration for me was having a pocketful of duff spark plugs to keep the old bike going - (note to myself don't buy Champion plugs again) - thank you to all who stopped and helped me get going.

Not only a superb motorcycle event but topped off by a great social night with some of the best live jazz music i've heard - we had a ball. (and in true Scottish tradition were the last standing at the bar on Sat night)

The Club put on a fantastic event and if you weren't there you missed yourself. - be sure to catch it in 2111.

Our weekend was topped off with 3 hours 'lost' in the National Motorcycle museum on the way home.

A weekend to remember.

thanks guys

Mark

(the guy kicking the1935 Rudge)

Edited by overthehill

Hi Guy's,

Lee has just mailed me, and if you go to, www.leeprescott.com he has a good selection of photos from Saturday on his web site. and he tells me he will publish more when he has finished sorting them. Take a look, it portrays a Great event. (A picture speaks a thousand words) and all that. :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Regards Charlie.

Hi Guy's

Hi Stephen.

Love the blog,

I am realy glad you enjoyed the day out in the Cotswolds as much as I did. And what better way to test ride a Royal Enfield.

I must again congratulate the Stratford MCC, for a superb event. And the feedback that I have recieved over the past week. Only goes to show that this type of event has a Great future, in the calender of Sporting Motorcycle Trials Events. Nice One, :thumbup: :thumbup:

Regards Charlie.

• 3 years later...

Hi Guy's.

Do you think that this type of event is the way to get the Genuine Pre65 trials bikes back out? for the History of British trials machines to be appreciated ?

By the few of us that were there at the time, and get a younger generation interested in what there fathers rode in Classic observation trials?

Regards Charlie. 

• 8 years later...

Hello

Excuse me for bumping up an old post. i'd like to get the attention of some members posting here with a quick question...And leave a message to look forward too.

My question. Where is Camp?      ( If its tricky to answer because the answer is private... is it camp37?)

I found you guys during researching.

I am editing and narrating my Uncles cine film collection from 1949 to the mid sixties and plan to show them on YT. One of the films is 19 minutes of The 1950 Sunbac Colmore Cup Trials. silent and B/W, covering about 60 bikes over seven stages. ... Harold and Jack feature quite a lot on JOK, with many others like Johnny B, Fred R,  Bill N and Ted B. The quality is fabulous, the details wonderful. Maybe done by the end of this year and i promises to post a link here.

I also need to find 'rockery' or the 'Rockery, which is the stage just after Camp.

... And while i am asking... If anyone has got the original Sunbac program that would help a great deal too. D

Thank you

Adam