gas gas 125 randonne tuning tips

nickrhinos

Hi , Picked up my new Gas Gas Randonne'three weeks ago and rode it yesterday in the Bumpy Novice and Beginners trial . Apart from the header pipe being one of the ugliest on the market i.e. cat , mid box and leg guard , I love the little bike . The gearing needs altering and it feels as though it really needs to breath a lot better , any ideas on tuning anybody? Cheers Nick

Tuning-have a look around for TTR125 tuning gear there's a lot of stuff out there, the wallet might over heat! I bet its a great bike, I had the scorpa 125 when I started out and it was ace, the same soft power in the GG chassis sounds ideal for wobbler level (me).

Tuning-have a look around for TTR125 tuning gear there's a lot of stuff out there, the wallet might over heat! I bet its a great bike, I had the scorpa 125 when I started out and it was ace, the same soft power in the GG chassis sounds ideal for wobbler level (me).

Hi , Sorry for late reply and thanks for the ttr direction.Last Saturday I rode in a trial and gearing needed to be changed which I managed to do last night and I tried bike out tonight and the difference is amazing , I can use 2nd and 3rd now , still needs front pipe changing to help the bike breath tho. cheers Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick - I'm thinking about getting one of these too - how does it ride as a trail bike? Obviously it's going to feel a little cramped (but then I'm used to my TLR), but what about it's on-road ie. 'between-lane' performance?

Also - have you ridden a dedicated trails bike in comparison? How do you consider the quality of the Randonnee's suspension etc?

I must say, I'm still tempted by the little fella, even if it turns out to be a bit crap!

Jx

Edited by JMo

Had a go on one the other day. Quite nice ride, although definately very low powered.

Anybody any idea what the engine is???

GGUK unsure.

Its not a yamaha, but could be a Motori Minarelli... If it is Chinese I would be very wary...

Spares & tuning parts a plenty for yam or minarelli, but no idea if it is a chinese build.

Any one any idea???

Cheers

LOONAL

Had a go on one the other day. Quite nice ride, although definately very low powered.

Anybody any idea what the engine is???

GGUK unsure.

Its not a yamaha, but could be a Motori Minarelli... If it is Chinese I would be very wary...

Spares & tuning parts a plenty for yam or minarelli, but no idea if it is a chinese build.

Any one any idea???

Cheers

LOONAL

I always presumed it was a Yamaha, or at least a copy made under licence? The layout of the architecture looks very similar to the [Yamaha] engine in the Scorpa TY-S, even down to the position of the starter motor (which is not fitted to the Scorpa of course), the oil filler, the exhaust exit, the inspection holes in the left hand case for setting the timing etc.

If you compare a photo of TTR125 next to it, you can see the similarities...

But maybe it is Chinese like you say?

Jx

Understand the engine to be a Taiwanese Yamaha copy. Someone I spoke to said the parts are not the same as Yamaha, so that would preclude the use of the TTR tuning parts that are a plenty on the market.

Shame

Understand the engine to be a Taiwanese Yamaha copy. Someone I spoke to said the parts are not the same as Yamaha, so that would preclude the use of the TTR tuning parts that are a plenty on the market.

Shame

Looks very very similar to the 125 Yamaha engine. Bore and stroke identical. This engine is fitted to lots of bikes and is also manufactured in china by Jianshe

YBR125 & variants

Basically, same motor as the scorpa 125, Yamaha TTR, XT & YBR. Spares shouldn't be a problem. Maybe a scorpa 125 front pipe will fit?

Andy

Edited by andyrothers

This motor can be "tuned".

TTR Big bore parts from BJ Racing and Powerall in the USA, and RAYER in france do fit. We have done it many times on the little Scorpa engine which is basically the same except for the electric leg.

Must be wrong then. Not unusual...

However I do know for a fact they are not the same engines as the Scorpa 125 though, which are all badged Yamaha & built in Brazil...

I hope you are right because then Yamaha spare parts could be used. Just have to wait until someone strips one down.

Cheers

Looks very very similar to the 125 Yamaha engine. Bore and stroke identical. This engine is fitted to lots of bikes and is also manufactured in china by Jianshe

YBR125 & variants

Basically, same motor as the scorpa 125, Yamaha TTR, XT & YBR. Spares shouldn't be a problem. Maybe a scorpa 125 front pipe will fit?

Andy

Interesting that Taiwan is not on the list? I know for your 163, like mine, it is badged yamaha & built in Brazil. I can also get all parts from my local dealer.

We had a "yamaha 125(copy)" stripped down for parts recently & trust me most of the parts were different. I think it was out of an AJS??? Still I hope you can fit standard Yamaha parts because I would have one tomorrow!!!!

Edited by Loonal

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , Sorry for late reply and thanks for the ttr direction.Last Saturday I rode in a trial and gearing needed to be changed which I managed to do last night and I tried bike out tonight and the difference is amazing , I can use 2nd and 3rd now , still needs front pipe changing to help the bike breath tho. cheers Nick

• 4 weeks later...

got a Randonne 125 as demo bike. I have played with it and done some pretty basic things to get it to rev and pull well. Gearing 9 front sprocket, 8 rear, valve clearances adjusted, removed egr system, air filter box mods,re-routed fuel pipe location and added filter, needle adjustments, earth out neutral switch ,restrictor in rear box removed. It pulls me (16 stone) up some big hills. See pics on my website. PAUL