Stuck in 5th

beeaj

I was riding my 2003 250txt today when suddenly I lost all gear change, the gear lever doesn't click anymore just moves up and down and the bike is stuck in 4th or 5th. Anyone have a clue what has happened ??

Thanks in advance

Mike

I was riding my 2003 250txt today when suddenly I lost all gear change, the gear lever doesn't click anymore just moves up and down and the bike is stuck in 4th or 5th. Anyone have a clue what has happened ??

Thanks in advance

Mike

See 'Help Needed' a few posts below - my guess is you have the same issues.

Paul Mac

Edited by paulmac

Thanks in advance

Mike

You may have damaged the internals in the shift drum. This didn't happen, by chance, after an encounter with a rock? I'd check for a broken shift centering spring/ top hat bar first (under the clutch basket)as, hopefully, this is the problem and not the more expensive cause.

Jon

Jon

I am in Italy just now and have limited internet, but I was out riding my other Gas Gas with the local trials club here and told the guys what had happened, I am not fluent but they all seemed to be saying that this is a very common problem but said usually with a 2005?? they also asked if I had hit a rock, I don't speak good enough Italian to have understood much about the problem.

The bike did take a real thump on its belly off a rock but ran fine for the rest of the day, I lost the gears on a run back up the village I was going along in 4th and went to change down and nothing, I think I might of heard a small noise just before I discovered the shifter was doing nothing, do you think it would be the shift centering spring and how difficult is it to fix with limited knowledge?

many thanks

Mike

Jon

I am in Italy just now and have limited internet, but I was out riding my other Gas Gas with the local trials club here and told the guys what had happened, I am not fluent but they all seemed to be saying that this is a very common problem but said usually with a 2005?? they also asked if I had hit a rock, I don't speak good enough Italian to have understood much about the problem.

The bike did take a real thump on its belly off a rock but ran fine for the rest of the day, I lost the gears on a run back up the village I was going along in 4th and went to change down and nothing, I think I might of heard a small noise just before I discovered the shifter was doing nothing, do you think it would be the shift centering spring and how difficult is it to fix with limited knowledge?

many thanks

Mike

Thanks for replies, I hoping it's not a big problem, the gear lever wasn't hit but the problem just started on a run home in 4th?

As said earlyer in this tread first checkpoint is the retaining spring and "top hat". This You should be able to do yourself even without too much mechanical experience. Just remove clutch cover and clutch pack to get to it. If You are lucky all your problems is here.. :)

If not, next checkpoint involves spitting the engine.

-Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jon

I took the clutch basket out and checked the spring which seems to be OK, the bike was meant to stay out in Italy when I return to the UK next week but I guess I will now have a much bigger problem? so I will most likely take the bike back to the uk to work on it. Have you any idea what an engine/ gearbox on a TXT 250 weighs? I could just bring home the engine and fly it back out. I have attached a link to some photographs, there seems to be a hole on the inner casing shown on one photo, is this meant to be like this?

hopefully one of these links will show the photos

My link

http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/1022872/

sorry for so many questions but any advise on what might be wrong now and how much work involved would be appreciated

thanks in advance

Mike

The whole in the case is normal - from the factory. I dont know exactly why its there but its there on 2 of my 280's. Also, if you have no issues with the top hat and spring and the bike was shifting well before it jammed you most likely will need to split the motor for inspection. I think the motor weighs approx 60 to 65 pounds - no magneto, no carb, no clutch cover, no clutch, no oil in tranny, yes with top end included.

I bet the bit no 13 as on MUDBOY part diagram. Mine was slighly bent on my old bike and was stuck in gear. This happened after i did a major rebuild Mains and gearbox bearings after the usual idle gear failure.

Gas Gas ride great but sadly the gearbox is a problem in this respect.

Edited by smalley250