Have I fried my Sherco electrics?

merseamudboy

I fitted a racing harness to my 2010 Sherco 2.9. I'll put my hand up and admit I could have done better with the wiring, a lack of decent crimping tools and a hot air gun meant some connections were soldered and wrapped in insulating tape :blush:

I was riding today when the motor stopped. Fuel was fine and there was no spark at the plug. I tried a new plug but the bike is completely dead.

My 1st thought was to check the wiring harness and I discovered that the tape on the yellow wire that goes up from the stator to the headstock was worn bare and this wire was presumably shorting on the frame. Even with this sorted the bike still has no spark :crying:

Anything I can check? What should be the output to earth on the yellow wire from the crankcase?

I wish I had a wiring diagram and I also wish I understood these type of ignition and electrics.

Peter

I fitted a racing harness to my 2010 Sherco 2.9. I'll put my hand up and admit I could have done better with the wiring, a lack of decent crimping tools and a hot air gun meant some connections were soldered and wrapped in insulating tape :blush:

I was riding today when the motor stopped. Fuel was fine and there was no spark at the plug. I tried a new plug but the bike is completely dead.

My 1st thought was to check the wiring harness and I discovered that the tape on the yellow wire that goes up from the stator to the headstock was worn bare and this wire was presumably shorting on the frame. Even with this sorted the bike still has no spark :crying:

Anything I can check? What should be the output to earth on the yellow wire from the crankcase?

I wish I had a wiring diagram and I also wish I understood these type of ignition and electrics.

Peter

As I do not have a 2010 on hand to ck, last I seen the yellow wire feeds power to fan and lights.

I would disconnect kill button and inspect earthe on cdi unit/ coil, install new sparkey.

After basic cks. you may be down to cdi,coil or stator plate!

GOt any friends? :thumbup:

As I do not have a 2010 on hand to ck, last I seen the yellow wire feeds power to fan and lights.

I would disconnect kill button and inspect earthe on cdi unit/ coil, install new sparkey.

After basic cks. you may be down to cdi,coil or stator plate!

GOt any friends? :thumbup:

That would make sense thanks and helps explain a lot about a system I don't fully understand. It does go up to the fan control location tucked up under the headstock. I suspect that effectively shorting this supply has damaged the stator (at least). I've checked the security of the earth on both the coil and the CDI unit already as well as disconnecting the kill switch and it sadly didn't help.

Friends yes :) Friends who really understand such stuff sadly no.

Way ahead, other than properly sorting the wiring is probably to check/remove the stator and see if I can get it repaired.

Many thanks, Peter

Hi

Check for corrosion build up between stator coils and flywheel.

I had a stator meter out perfect but no spark.

I cleaned off the corrosion and all was fine.

Geebee

Where exactly..what did you clean it with?

Wayne

That would make sense thanks and helps explain a lot about a system I don't fully understand. It does go up to the fan control location tucked up under the headstock. I suspect that effectively shorting this supply has damaged the stator (at least). I've checked the security of the earth on both the coil and the CDI unit already as well as disconnecting the kill switch and it sadly didn't help.

Friends yes :) Friends who really understand such stuff sadly no.

Way ahead, other than properly sorting the wiring is probably to check/remove the stator and see if I can get it repaired.

Many thanks, Peter

As this bike is not old, I still have reservations about the stator. Chewy did report a failed coil pack on his, yet seems rare, but If you have no close friends to swap parts off a similar year bike, then contact someone like Splatshop Chris to sent you off a package of bits to isolate the problem. He will only charge for what you use. :thumbup:

You may ohm things out, as stated, but prooblem is we have no way of functionally testing erratic hall effect units on the stator on a dead bike!

As this bike is not old, I still have reservations about the stator. Chewy did report a failed coil pack on his, yet seems rare, but If you have no close friends to swap parts off a similar year bike, then contact someone like Splatshop Chris to sent you off a package of bits to isolate the problem. He will only charge for what you use. :thumbup:

You may ohm things out, as stated, but prooblem is we have no way of functionally testing erratic hall effect units on the stator on a dead bike!

Steve at MotoPlat doubts the shorting of the coil and auxiliary supply would lead to a ignition problem. I'm too busy to get some time with the bike until next week but I'll do the checks he suggested and if it seems okay I'll get onto Splatshop.

I don't want to jump to conclusions but when I saw the bare wire under the frame I probably did.

Peter

Steve at MotoPlat doubts the shorting of the coil and auxiliary supply would lead to a ignition problem. I'm too busy to get some time with the bike until next week but I'll do the checks he suggested and if it seems okay I'll get onto Splatshop.

I don't want to jump to conclusions but when I saw the bare wire under the frame I probably did.

Peter

Completely understand, yet as these things go, other than basics mentioned, we have no true way of functional testing of these components in the field, other than component swapping and isolation of the faulty part via that method. :thumbup:

Completely understand, yet as these things go, other than basics mentioned, we have no true way of functional testing of these components in the field, other than component swapping and isolation of the faulty part via that method. :thumbup:

I did a multimeter test of the stator today and the readings to earth from brown and black were low, with both orientations of the probes on the diode setting. I've ordered a replacement stator :)

We'll see.

Peter

I did a multimeter test of the stator today and the readings to earth from brown and black were low, with both orientations of the probes on the diode setting. I've ordered a replacement stator :)

We'll see.

Peter

Fitted the reconditioned stator - still no spark. I suspect it's the coil or CDI unit, bike with dealer who will have a look.

Peter

Fitted the reconditioned stator - still no spark. I suspect it's the coil or CDI unit, bike with dealer who will have a look.

Peter

Well, you tried. Do report the findings, please, as things go it may yet help others. :thumbup:

Well, you tried. Do report the findings, please, as things go it may yet help others. :thumbup:

I will do, the bike is currently with Triple D in Kendal and when they get a moment they will take a look at it. I'd go for the CDI unit myself, the coil resistances checked out okay.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I will do, the bike is currently with Triple D in Kendal and when they get a moment they will take a look at it. I'd go for the CDI unit myself, the coil resistances checked out okay.

Peter

In the end it was the stator after all. I'm far from certain that the reconditioned one I fitted was in fact a repaired one?

Peter

In the end it was the stator after all. I'm far from certain that the reconditioned one I fitted was in fact a repaired one?

Peter

Hummm, thanks for the report! Does make you wonder? Seems the re built ones from WCW have been a bit iffy? Where as Steve has been spot on in most cases, although as with anything I am sure he is not perfect as things go. :thumbup: