Bantam after mkt ignition.

andy m

Hi

Haven't any experience with bantams, but I have fitted an external rotor electrex kit to a twinshock maico which made night and day difference in terms of starting and [especially of interest to trials use] smooth low speed running. I couldn't bring myself to fork out for the PVL, and very glad I didn't!

I see they do both internal and external rotor kits for the bantam but would think the external one would be the thing to go for. One more thing, I found the Electrex team to be really helpful in terms of what to buy and after sales, fitting and set up advice.They are definately worth a call.

Best wishes

Will-in-the-mud

• 1 month later...

Ive got the Electrex ignition on my D14 175 Bantam. Seems good and well made, nice quality connections etc. The only issue I had was that the ignition has a curve - so it runs retarded at low revs (for easy starting) and at high revs (over 5000rpm to save the engine and allow it to rev on). The problem was that the engine felt 'flat' just off throttle when set at the standard setting (and the setting that Electrex recommend)- it felt like weak carburation but Im now fairly sure it was because at very low revs it was retarded. Ive advanced the ignition timing to around 27 degrees max advance (4mm BTDC) and it seems much, much better. I did a Red Rose trial with it set to the standard setting and had a reasonable finish so its not that bad - just much improved with the extra advance. cheers. :thumbup: