Ty250 forks for a Ty175

spawtydawg

Hi,can anyone give me their opinion on wether its worth putting Ty250 forks/yolks onto a Ty175,

are there any advantages/disadvantages in doing so? Thanks.

One of the advantages to the 175 is its light weight. Why add weight to it?

Ty 250 forks on a Ty175 YES

The Ty175 where build back in the day for school boys, so the forks are setup for someone under 150lbs.

As someone that is well over that I changed out to the Ty250 forks on my Ty175. And found that the twist that I was getting in the front wheel when riding rocky stream beds was gone. And I can now drop off 3 to 4 foot drops with out bottoming out the front end.

The stock fork legs are only 28mm dia. and the ty250 fork legs are 35mm.

the triple clamps are the same casting with the ty250 and the ty175, so you can bore out the ty175 clamps for the ty250 forks.

Put the trick springs and damper rods and you will love the setup.

Hi,can anyone give me their opinion on wether its worth putting Ty250 forks/yolks onto a Ty175,

are there any advantages/disadvantages in doing so? Thanks.

I have put the TY250 forks and yokes onto my 175 and they feel vastly superior with my 110kg onboard.

If you search through this forum you will find this discussion quite a few times.

This swap worked out to be for free for me, if it was going to cost me a decent sum then I might not have done it.

See here:

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/34698-ty250-bits-to-a-ty175/page__p__261375__hl__%2Bty250+%2Bty175+%2Bswap__fromsearch__1#entry261375

I sold the 250 with all the knackered bits from the 175 on it for the same money I'd paid for it in the first place.

Edited by kimpybugalugs

Ty 250 forks on a Ty175 YES

The Ty175 where build back in the day for school boys, so the forks are setup for someone under 150lbs.

As someone that is well over that I changed out to the Ty250 forks on my Ty175. And found that the twist that I was getting in the front wheel when riding rocky stream beds was gone. And I can now drop off 3 to 4 foot drops with out bottoming out the front end.

The stock fork legs are only 28mm dia. and the ty250 fork legs are 35mm.

the triple clamps are the same casting with the ty250 and the ty175, so you can bore out the ty175 clamps for the ty250 forks.

Put the trick springs and damper rods and you will love the setup.

? strange i always thought the TY175 forks were 32mm dia 28mm does sound incredibly small are you sure ? plus TY250 twinshock forks are 34mm dia not 35mm unless you mean TY250 mono forks but they are 36mm dia so im a bit confused what forks you had fitted. Are you sure they were std TY forks?

Yep The Ty 175 stock forks are 28mm

Sorry about the size of the ty250 forks.

I've been swapping forks and triple trees around on my Ty175 of late.

I've ended up using Ty250 forks with Montesa triple tree.

That is where I got the size messed up in my head.

I saw this thread now. To the forks of the 125 and 175cc TY:

I still have my first bigger trialsbike a TY 125 from 1979. The only major repair I ha to do was to replace bent stanchions after a front flip crash, (back then spare parts where still available,it shouuld have been around 1985/86 I believe.

I now will give the bike it's first service after 32 years + the bike will get a forks pair of a mono TY 250.

The frontend will be heavier, the weehlbase will also be sligtly longer, then I need a new front rear axle, some bushings the triple clamps of the mono too with some conversions to fit them to the older TY.

But all this will be cheaper as a straightenin of bent stanchions and then a rechroming. (had my lessons here while restoring the Bultaco).

So if you can gett the bigger forks of the 250 or the mono 250 with truples, replace them IMHO.

Much better steering feel, much more durable and better action (mono) too, The weightgain is nearly not remarkable the better steering is vey well.

The forks fitted as std to the Yamaha TY175 are lightly sprung & underdamped, not too much of a problem if you are of light build. These two isues can be overcome by using spring & damper parts from Craig Mowlam http://www.yamaha-majesty.com/shop/index.php but in my experience fitting the forks from a TY250 T/S has a similar effect. There is no weight penalty, the yokes are identical but overbored slightly for the bigger diameter stanchions, the lower fork leg slider is also the very same as the TY175 but again bored out, same spindle, wheel, brake etc

The only difference is larger diameter stanchions, springs & dampers so minimal extra weight but a big advantage in fork action.

The forks fitted as std to the Yamaha TY175 are lightly sprung & underdamped, not too much of a problem if you are of light build. These two isues can be overcome by using spring & damper parts from Craig Mowlam http://www.yamaha-majesty.com/shop/index.php but in my experience fitting the forks from a TY250 T/S has a similar effect. There is no weight penalty, the yokes are identical but overbored slightly for the bigger diameter stanchions, the lower fork leg slider is also the very same as the TY175 but again bored out, same spindle, wheel, brake etc

The only difference is larger diameter stanchions, springs & dampers so minimal extra weight but a big advantage in fork action.

Hi,have had a look at Craigs web site. Do you mean "Magicals" suspension parts as these are the only ones I can see on there?

Thanks.

Hi,have had a look at Craigs web site. Do you mean "Magicals" suspension parts as these are the only ones I can see on there?

Thanks.

He had the springs & damper parts on his stand at the Telford Show, give him a call if they are not on his website.