Beta Evo Clutch Adjustment

ticket2ride

There is a very small amount of throw. Any play in the mechanism is wasted motion so the shimming is to have the minimum amount of travel before the throwout plate begins to move. The practical upshot is at full actuation the throwout plate is the furthest out possible. Supposedly this helps reduce drag. There is debate about what actually causes the various components of the drag. If there is wear in the mechanism this is may help. Hydraulic actuation mechanisms are supposed to be self adjusting for the initial offset so if the mechanism is working properly shimming the mechanism doesn’t make that much of a difference.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:20 AM, dan williams said:

Hydraulic actuation mechanisms are supposed to be self adjusting for the initial offset so if the mechanism is working properly shimming the mechanism doesn’t make that much of a difference.

That's the way I saw it too. But a 0.25mm shim has improved my clutch.

• Like 1

Yeah I’m not saying it wouldn’t work. I did it too but didn’t see much difference. Then again I’ve done a lot of fine tuning to the clutch. The throw is only ~1.25mm so 0.25mm is a significant number. One other thing is we all have different preferences for clutch behavior.