Lakes 2 day

mad4it

• 2 weeks later...

Depends what you're used to riding - bike and event type.

The bike would need to be a good one with good suspension and working brakes, much in the mode of a modernised Cub or James. Naturally, the more capable the rider, the 'worse' a bike they can manage around the event but ideally, you'd want to be on a well sorted one.

In terms of events, if you have ridden any Normandale Traditional rounds and found them too hard, then the Lakes will be too much without question.

Difficult to say as middle routes vary so much. I would say generally it's going to be a lot harder than an average middle route.

I rode the Pre65 Scottish in 2006 and 2007 on a relatively uncompetitive C15 which I was still sorting out. I lost 20 or 21 marks total both times. That included a number of fives due to the bike stopping in sections with crap electrics plus other problems, otherwise a more realistic score would have been 8 - 10 total each time.

In the Lakes I lose about 50 each day on average on my Bultaco.

So based upon how you go in Scotland, that may give you an idea of what to expect.

I have rode the lakes a number of times on a new bike & now ride a twinshocker most weekends.

The lakes sections are mainly rocky streams.

Wet brakes & rocks/steps - two things that will test an old bike & rider.

My recommendation is do it on a new bike!