Long(er) range trials bikes

250yam

I've recently bought, and subsequently sold a TY250 Twinshock as I just can't be a***d with knackered old stuff anymore if I'm being honest, I should have spent a bit more on a decent bike to start with.

So, I'm left with a dilemma, I really would like a modern mono (Mont 315r or Beta Rev3 250, Scorpa 250), what appeals is the newer technology, and hopefully having to do less to the bike than an old twinshock.

But, I'd also like a bike I could ride for a bit of trails, or longer distances, around the farm etc, so what are my options in terms of using one of the above?

As I see it, I could fit a buttrest (http://www.buttrest.co.uk/), and mini hebo tank to the forks, but are these buttrests any good? And how much longer are you likely to be able to ride for with the small extra tank?

or, I have seen some long range tanks kicking about eBay for the 315.

or, Beta did a long range seat/tank combo for the Rev3/Evo, but they don't seem to be about!

So, has anyone got any advice please? Another twinshock is an option, but would rather spend in the region of

Best bet on the modern bikes (to a tighter budget) would be a Scorpa SY240 longride or a Beta Rev with the extended tank/seat.

I saw a longride Scorpa go for this sort of money recently on eBay. Scorpas will probably give you the most bang for buck at this price.

Beta's with the extended tanks are thinner on the ground it seems. I've only seen one - and I bought it!

Failing that, you're really looking at auxilliary tanks (like the Hebo) but that won't solve the seat issue!

With the greatest of respect, it's not a cheap mod is it, due obviously to the rarity of the parts, and I guess the limited market for them?

I think an auxillary tank and a buttrest are probably going to be the best way to go for me.

Thanks for the input, and any more advice is very welcome, I'm new to this, and could be barking up the wrong tree totally!

I would have sorted the TY and carried on,the same way that say a Beamish Suzuki or TLR200 Honda would work for you.As long as they are in decent nick to start with they are probably more reliable with proper maintenance than modern bikes.At yesterdays Somerton trial a 4t Beta packed up with no spark just for fun,seen plenty of Gassers give up too.With decent care there is nothing wrong with most trials bikes - as long as you spend the time to understand and care for them.Even the BSA Bantams and Villiers powered stuff,(That most peeps shied away from.) are out most weekends being worked really hard and doing very well.

Just making the point that modern stuff will fail too,often with little chance of fixing it on the day.

The thought had crossed my mind, but I decided I was better getting out at that point, and going with a newer, less rusty, and hopefully less frustrating machine. "Decent nick to start with" was the problem in my case really.