DT 175 barrel

spawtydawg

Hi, I've been told that a DT 175mx barrel fits straight onto a TY 175 and gives it more power due

to the porting. Has anyone done this and if so is it a worth while mod? I've also been told that a

lot of people used to lengthen the swing arm by an inch or so to help keep the front end down, does

this work and does it affect the steering in any way? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I've been told that a DT 175mx barrel fits straight onto a TY 175 and gives it more power due

to the porting. Has anyone done this and if so is it a worth while mod? I've also been told that a

lot of people used to lengthen the swing arm by an inch or so to help keep the front end down, does

this work and does it affect the steering in any way? Thanks in advance.

Dont to excited just yet, there is no hidden mystery in the DT175 barrel, that is the equivalent year model 4 bolt head one.

There is no real difference in porting. Fins are bigger, thats about it.

Other influences between the DT and TY are making the difference. These include a bigger carb from 22 to 24 mm, the reed cage is bigger, the head is lower compression, the exhaust length is longer and tuned higher in rev range, the ignition is higher in degree advance and actually has a centrifical mechanism to advance from low setting to high. There may be differences in the airbox size, but not really a lot. Piston is the same also.

Unless you are stuck for a good TY barrel, the DT is a good substitute, apart from that little else. Now if you compare the 4 bolt head barrel to the later 5 bolt head from '78 to '84 I think, there is a number of differences, but it wont just bolt on due to different base pattern.

Do a search for the swingarm lengthening by Feetup, that was actually a fairly recent post about a month or so back.

My Bikes - TY175C and DT175C(not running, so cant directly compare performance) (both 1976)

Edited by subanator

I have ridden Feetupfun's TY - its a 200cc with 250 forks and 75mm lengthened swing arm and its brilliant.....it also has altered steering head [higher and steeper I think]. It is very comparable to Feetup's Majesty 250 but is lighter and more agile..... to be honest I'm always impressed with Feetups bikes as the controls, clutch action and brake setup are really good. I started out on a standard Ty 175 [which is a great bike standard] but if it wasn't for my SWM addiction Id probably go a feetup fun replica. As Subnator points out search on this forum and http://www.trials.com.au/content/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=6 for more info.