bigair

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand for trail (not trials) riding? '04-'08 bikes

• Beta
    • Gas Gas
    • Montesa
    • Scorpa
    • Sherco

I have a 08 Beta 4T with a long range seat/tank - I use it exclusively for single track riding out in the woods (and the desert too). It is GREAT.

BetaRev4T.jpg

However, its not street legal. So I am looking foreward to the arrival of the OSSA explorer in June.

Max Damping on Rear Shock

Nope..... you are adjusting the rebound damping. There is no compression damping adjustment. The shock will still blow through it's travel. You can help......Put a heavier rate spring may help a little, or thicker oil

Nope..... you are adjusting the rebound damping. There is no compression damping adjustment. The shock will still blow through it's travel. You can help......Put a heavier rate spring may help a little, or thicker oil

Understand and agree. I have installed the heaviest spring I could find and it seems to be about right. What I was trying to say is that - by adjusting the rebound damping to max, it seems to be a good match for controlling the rebound of the stiffer spring without having to open the shock and change to thicker oil or other mods. The standard unadjustable compression damping seems OK with the additon of the stiffer spring and the benefits of the linkage.

• 9 months later...

FrankenBeta - This Thing is WONDERFUL!!!

09 Beta Evo 300 4t with EXTENSIVE mods (see below) to make it an ultimate OLD guy trail bike.

The 300 4t is AMAZING and great for riding the really gnarly stuff AND should be good for me when I get too OLD and fat (I'm only 69 and 200 lbs. now) to ride my KTM in the dirt. Believe it or not, it is actually quite comfy to ride even sitting on the seat as long as you are not going really fast over rocks/logs, etc.

Long Ride Kit (1.1 Gallon Aux Tank & Seat)

Scotts Stabilizer

BBR Seat at Normal Trail Ride Height

16" Rear Wheel (More Rake & Trail & Lower Pegs)

Full Knobys 21" Front & 16" Rear

6" Rise Jitsie Handlebars

Thicker Fork Oil in Right Fork ONLY for Increased Dampening

Significantly Stiffer Front and Rear Spring

Max Damping on Rear Shock

Lowered Shifter

Acerbis Rally Pro X Rally all plastic Handguards

Tool Bag Under Seat

Garmin eTrex GPS on Handelbar

This FrankenBeta is terrific. I've now made the following ADDITIONAL mods and the bike is even better.

Substituted Garmin Montana for the eTrex

Added an EFM Auto Clutch

This is a great improvement for me (because all my other bikes have auto-clutch and I was having trouble rememberiring to use the Beta clutch.

ALSO the makes the gap between 3rd and 4th a non problem as, within reason, you can use 4th at very low speeds

Added a Left Hand Rear Brake (which is in addition to the normal foot brake)

This provides great flexibility and works well when riding sitting down (where it is hard to use the foot brake)

Added SPIKED knobby tires for use in winter on ice, snow and wet roots and logs.

Tried them out about 10 days ago and was AMAZED at the traction. I was never even able to use their full potential becasue I didn't have the confidence to reley on them. You can hit a slick log at 60 degrees and it just goes right over - no drama.

Also icy trails are no problem.