Any adults ride 125s? Advantages / Disadvantages

smudger984

I am interested in getting a 125, currently have a 250, I would like any comments on any adults that ride 125's and what they think.

My main reason is that I feel the 125 that I rode was much easier to handle and also gripped much better than my 250...

Hi I ride a 125 beta, great bike lots of power, never been wanting more in sections. They need more rider input on the big steps, but I am a pussie and dont ride the big scary things. The latest 125s are very much underated, and would satisfiy most clubman. To see what they are capable of just watch the juniors, and a lot of them are not little kids, they are almost men, or women. Some people knock them, but they are fantastic.

Pete

I am interested in getting a 125, currently have a 250, I would like any comments on any adults that ride 125's and what they think.

My main reason is that I feel the 125 that I rode was much easier to handle and also gripped much better than my 250...

Rode a 125 for 2 years in some fairly big trials (SSDT, Novagars and various other nationals) and it was one of the best things I ever did. I weigh 76kg, 5ft 10 and 35 years old and it coped with everything I put it through.

My dad is now riding the 2nd one I had and is enjoying the things you mentioned such as the handling and the ability to have more control of the power. I personally liked having to ride it more aggressively and being able to throw it around a bit more. Someone on here explained the gyroscopic effect and angular momentum as to why its so much easier handling despite having the same weight on paper.

I rode an 09 & 10 125 Gas Gas but have also tried 225 GG and a 200 Beta so have a look at all the options. My experience says get the smallest engine that you can cope with for what you want to ride as you'll naturally have more control. If your doing club trials then theirs very little that a 125 would struggle with.

Cheers for the replies.....

A lot of people have said a 125 is not enough but I am starting to think that too much power is worse than not enough, and when you see some guys on old twin shocks doing bigger stuff than guys on Raga 300s, this confirms it, I know its really down to the rider not the bike, and like one of the comments what some of the top schoolboys do is amazing !!!

I'm the guy that Billy mentioned who explained the physics behind the lighter feel. Essentially it is down to a lower rotating mass being easier to deflect & hence change direction. But you've no need to worry about that, you just need to be confident enough to take the plunge.

I have ridden 125s for quite a while at clubman level and would recommed you to have a go. I've currently got a very lighly used 2008 Beta Rev3 which has been sat for two years whilst I recover from a back problem. I have not come across anything in a Midland Centre trial where the bike has held me back; sadly the reverse is not true.

Over the past few years 125s have become much more usable with proper torque characteristics, whereas previously they were all about revs and top end power. You do need to be a bit more careful with gear choice but generally the lower power contributes to better grip & you can get away with using the lowest gear possible.