Ossa TR 280i hard to start

scorpatic

Got my dealer to make one up and install a 9v sustem for me that works absolutly awesomef.... bike still wont start unless im holding that button though! ... ....... the real sad story though is i have 2 1/2 hours on a brand new bike ...my clutch is leaking.... its missing small parts from my front light ... and now the bike wont shift ....... did anybody else have this experience?? because i have to be honest my Ossa experience so far has turned into hell........ dont get me wrong i love the bike when its working properly .... im just a little shocked at the problems ive run into on a brand new bike.

Ouch, got support from your dealer?

I havent had any issues at all and haven't heard of anyone experience something this bad with the Ossa. Hope you get it sorted!

the Lithium 12v must incorporate the capacitor unit, if the battery is dead the fan will not run properly. You should have the capacitor installed. since they have the capacitor on the 2013 then I would recommend the 9v system and it is far less expensive. No issue with flooding from over pressure from the fuel pump. See here for the connection diagram, takes about 15 minute to install. The 12 V does work, 9v in my opinion is far better.

Further to this, the 2013 bike have a higher compression therefore all the more reason to have 9v easy start.

Hope this helps>>>

http://www.ossacanad... connection.pdf

For me another reason to stick with the 12v solution was that the bikes are harder to stall at low rpm, whatever works for you though. The 9v system certainly would be less effort required to hook it up if you were starting from scratch but I don't think it has all the same benefits.

We find there is no flooding issue with the 12v setup as long as you get the kick starter to the top of the stroke before turning on the battery. If you don't do this there is a very small risk of flooding. If you do flood the bike, simply hold it wide open throttle and it will start within 4 kicks in my experience.

i saw a 2013 over the weekend and the owner was far from happy,

it had boiled over once at a trial and has had two sets of oil seals,

and its a ******* to start. i saw him pushing it back to the

van as it wouldnt start, so i offered my help, leaned it against a tree

opened the throttle a couple of times and it started in 4 kicks. so maybe

i have the knack.

jsp

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Having had my 2012 works bike for ages, I finally got round to getting out to a club trial the other weekend.

It had occasionally ben a pig to start on occasion, to the point that I'd given up on it a couple of times instead of actually riding it but going to the club trial meant it _Had_ to start.

Having kicked it over so much I was a blue sweaty mess a younger / fitter guy took over and got it started (after another buddy had tried to get it going)

It is really really nice to ride but I was petrified of stalling it for fear of not being able to get it going again.

Got back from the trial and bought http://www.maplin.co.uk/9v-switched-battery-box-36603

l90an.jpg

1.99 from Maplin.

Took the front light plate off to get to the capacitor doofer behind it and spliced it in.

536817_4503222151324_539278601_n.jpg

covered all the splices with waterproof heatshrink covering.

Put it all back together and held the batterybox on top of the capacitor with double sided velcro (holds batteries into my toy planes as they get flung around so it'll probably be enough for this application, time will tell)

65342_4503303953369_1438438033_n.jpg

fits in there as nice as you like, almost looks made for it.

Starts _very_ easily now, not always first kick but it really does want to start.

I'm switching the battery on, starting the bike and switching the battery off once it's running.

The fuel pump _does not_ run 'till the bike has been booted over at least once, one the bike has turned over, you can hear the pump running after the engine rotation and charging the fuel system.

Have managed the starting by hand, trick :-)

Much keener to go out and play now that I know I can start the thing easily.

pound ninety nine well spent in my book.

Edit: This product is now available from OSSA Canada, details at this link: http://www.ossacanada.ca/Ossa%20ES9V%20Kit%20-%20Canada.pdf

Not sure if this is the factory approved version but this setup

looks very slick and appears to be operated when the kickstart is moved from its resting position, in otherwords the system is activated only when you are trying to kick the bike over Edited by canada280i

Last Friday my new 2013 arrived, after opening the box and assembling the bike I spent 4 hours kicking my guts out to try and start it. Managed 1 start after about 3/4s of an hour, rode it enought to have the fan come on twice them I stalled the bike and could not start it again that day. On Saturday I spent about an hour kicking before she fired up, I actually went riding for about an hour (great bike when its going). Sunday could not start it. This morning I say the last two replys on this forum, went out bought the few items I needed, fitting the 9v system up and now she fires up 1st or 2nd kick every time (so far). Hopefully many enjoyables hours riding ahead of me, thanks for the help guys, its like chalk n cheese, day n night, I was closed to putting it back in the box and sending it back to the distributor, lol.

I fitted the 9v to mine but I never really had to use it apart from when it was cold and the older the bike got the easier it started.

My problem was gear selector shafts 2 snapped in 6mths ! both repaired no problem under warranty but very annoying

and cost me a finish in the 3 day. I asked the my dealer the importer and even asked the factory what they where going

to do about this known fault ...........no reply ?..................I asked if the new gearbox of the 2013 would fit the 2012 ...........

no reply ?

So I solved the problem myself I sold it ! now got a 2013 Sherco and very happy with it.

Also be prepared for a shock when you try to sell your bike I lost a bloody fortune, I lost nearly half the price of a new bike

in 9 mths of ownership. A lot of shops would not even take it in PX.

Great bike but has major issues the factory need to sort out before they run out of customers.

Edited by taff_d
  • Like 1

I fitted the 9v to mine but I never really had to use it apart from when it was cold and the older the bike got the easier it started.

My problem was gear selector shafts 2 snapped in 6mths ! both repaired no problem under warranty but very annoying

and cost me a finish in the 3 day. I asked the my dealer the importer and even asked the factory what they where going

to do about this known fault ...........no reply ?..................I asked if the new gearbox of the 2013 would fit the 2012 ...........

no reply ?

So I solved the problem myself I sold it ! now got a 2013 Sherco and very happy with it.

Also be prepared for a shock when you try to sell your bike I lost a bloody fortune, I lost nearly half the price of a new bike

in 9 mths of ownership. A lot of shops would not even take it in PX.

Great bike but has major issues the factory need to sort out before they run out of customers.

I clicked the like button, not because I have a dislike for the brand (which I don't) but because I appreciate the candour of the reply, it adds value to the site. I'm sorry to hear that Taff_d took one for the team...in the pocket :o

Edited by ham2

I also agree that honest opinions are what makes this forum invaluable, however there are always 2 sides to everything, my OSSA is a 2011 model and touch wood have had no major issues whatsoever. Granted, initially it was a little difficult to start but mapping updates and dealer support with both the original ISS system, and the revised 9v version have made my ownership experience very satisfactory so far.

I would imagine that the 9v system will be fitted directly from the factory in the future as standard as it should be. It has been a long time coming but I also think that the factory has at least done its part in following through with a solution for this issue.