Ossa TR 280i hard to start

scorpatic

Hi tobee, Carrier Centers is the OSSA Importer in Canada.

John MacKinnon

6 Edmondson Street

Brantford, Ontario

N3R 7J3

cell # 519 761 0146

johnmackinnon@carriercenters.ca

They are also importers for BTWICE Parts (www.btwiceengineering.com). If i'm not wrong i saw the kit in their web also???

Thanks for that andy1.

I've been looking at the earlier pics of the switch on the bars, and that seems to be an even neater fix. Presumably the switch is held down to complete the circuit just whilst kicking over. Might have a ponder of that before going to CarrierCenters.

The handlebar switch works pretty good especially if you use a High power 9v battery such as an energizer lithium. Ossa has a new capacitor on te 2014 model tat apparently fixes the issue once and for all. I have been in touch with John and the new part should be available I the new year, although price is unknown, I would hope that ossa do not look to profit on this part and sell it to existing owners at cost. The part will retrofit apparently bit no other details are available. I am also in touch with a dealer in the uk to see if I can get this part earlier if possible.

Edited by canada280i

In my opinion the 9v battery system is better than the new capacitor. The battery activates the fuel pump , the new capacitor doesn't. So.. easier to start the bike with the 9v battery system (and cheaper). My local dealer (in Spain) told me that the new capacitor cost a fortune!

• 1 year later...

• 1 year later...

OSSA TR208i, mapped by Pennine Trial Sport.

For months, I stuck to the advice of "NEVER TOUCH THE THROTTLE WHEN KICK-STARTING IT - even if you have to put your hand on the bar rather than throttle", and still had issues.

It almost randomly started.

The strange thing was, when out riding - other people mostly seemed to be able to start it (even whilst knowing - 'not to touch the throttle').

I put mine up for sale last week, and decided to mess about with it to ensure that it would start easily (9v battery fix etc).

After 6 months of not riding it (fresh set of eyes); whilst testing, I thought to myself "I can hear it TRYING to start - it feels like it needs fuel", so, this time, I decided to try the throttle and lo and behold - it started - every time - without fail!

This happened the next day from cold - regular, consistent starts!

It started - effortlessly - every time.

So, the months of faffing about was entirely due to listening to 'experts'!

I now think that the key was entirely due the timing of the throttle.

Even HOW you kicked it seemed unimportant (whereas I started to think that how / when you 'jerked' the kick-start mattered):

1) Use a quick, 1/3 throttle jerk.

2) Do that JUST BEFORE the kick-start hit's the foot-peg - no earlier.

3) DO NOT turn the throttle before then.

I do think that this throttle timing is very fine, and that's why so many people seem to have problems.

I think that THIS is what should be concentrated-on.

If I take trials up again; I would now have absolutely no hesitation in buying an OSSA - year 2011 or not - brilliant bike.

Do not let this 'issue' put you off - because, there isn't one ;-)

Red

Edited by redslayer

• 2 months later...

Its funny some people say the clutch is hard but at the last trial 10 guys rode or bikes and all said WOW the clutch is so light :-)

Also I believe you can change the clutch master cylinder and run a bigger hose if you want to make it feather light, the USA guys seem to know how to do this. Its not something I would bother with.

I know this is a bit old ;-)

I have searched and couldn't find any references to this technique.  I am curious if it is possible...not sure I would do it, but curious...

My 2002 sherco has the lightest clutch I have ever used.  I wouldn't mind my Explorer to be the same though ;-)

• 3 months later...

OSSA TR208i, mapped by Pennine Trial Sport.

For months, I stuck to the advice of "NEVER TOUCH THE THROTTLE WHEN KICK-STARTING IT - even if you have to put your hand on the bar rather than throttle", and still had issues.

It almost randomly started.

The strange thing was, when out riding - other people mostly seemed to be able to start it (even whilst knowing - 'not to touch the throttle').

I put mine up for sale last week, and decided to mess about with it to ensure that it would start easily (9v battery fix etc).

After 6 months of not riding it (fresh set of eyes); whilst testing, I thought to myself "I can hear it TRYING to start - it feels like it needs fuel", so, this time, I decided to try the throttle and lo and behold - it started - every time - without fail!

This happened the next day from cold - regular, consistent starts!

It started - effortlessly - every time.

So, the months of faffing about was entirely due to listening to 'experts'!

I now think that the key was entirely due the timing of the throttle.

Even HOW you kicked it seemed unimportant (whereas I started to think that how / when you 'jerked' the kick-start mattered):

1) Use a quick, 1/3 throttle jerk.

2) Do that JUST BEFORE the kick-start hit's the foot-peg - no earlier.

3) DO NOT turn the throttle before then.

I do think that this throttle timing is very fine, and that's why so many people seem to have problems.

I think that THIS is what should be concentrated-on.

If I take trials up again; I would now have absolutely no hesitation in buying an OSSA - year 2011 or not - brilliant bike.

Do not let this 'issue' put you off - because, there isn't one ;-)

Red

I had the same problem as you described . I didnt touch the trottle and when I began to do exactly what you described it started. I begin with no trottle and at mid stroke I open the trottle and it easy to start. Maybe some bikes have to be started this way and others with no trottle. Usualy the guys who are used to two strokes trial bike just start my Ossa  the same way the used to start their bikes. It is still much difficult  than to start a Montesa 4rt but it is more fun than the Montesa.