Ossa TR 280i hard to start

scorpatic

What really surprizes me is that seems noone has picked up un this on the Montesa front. From what I know it is the same basic system. Them things would prolly chug like a garden tractor if you did not have to keep um revved all the time to prevent a flameout!

I am thinking even a 9V setup should run the pump and such if it had a bit more capacity. Cars systems will start and run on 9V, but things git iffy below that.

Just to add another thought, a NI-CD pack should easily re- charge itself as well, and these are readily available. A few years ago I built a small NI-CD pack to run the LED lights installed in my enclosed trailer which charged off the vehicle when driven. It would run the lights for hours on end if needed.

The supplied batteries from Spain are Ni Cd and do recharge themselves when the engine is running.

Montesas seem to start ok, but as you say Cope, they run with highish revs whereas the Ossas seem to tick over more slowly and thus feel more 'normal.'

On another front I wonder what Kokusan reckon on all this, I understand that it is their 'battery less' electronic systems that Ossa use and advertise on the bike and the works riders outfits.

Not sure if this has been posted already, but if after the 3rd kick no joy - rare these days, I kick over once with the throttle wide open and then throttle closed and it starts - sometimes with the throttle wide - spins up fast!!

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been posted already, but if after the 3rd kick no joy - rare these days, I kick over once with the throttle wide open and then throttle closed and it starts - sometimes with the throttle wide - spins up fast!!

Having used that method before with the Scorpa, tried it (along with "what about the FI system" thoughts) worked a treat.

The supplied batteries from Spain are Ni Cd and do recharge themselves when the engine is running.

Montesas seem to start ok, but as you say Cope, they run with highish revs whereas the Ossas seem to tick over more slowly and thus feel more 'normal.'

On another front I wonder what Kokusan reckon on all this, I understand that it is their 'battery less' electronic systems that Ossa use and advertise on the bike and the works riders outfits.

I think you are correct there , yet the 2T exhaust note is more decieving and one does not get the same pop per rev as in a 4t. I have noticed in vids of Bou, he seems to be able to chug the bike along endlessly without a flameout, does not sem to idle the same as others. I know damn well they are running bluetooth mapping links to the bike, so it only stands to reason they are running a "pack" on the bike to stabalize things and connect to it.

My bike has started taking 6 kicks or so to start when cold, no problem hot. I'm going to change the plug when I get some time.

Dad's bike is going like a dream, probably helped because he's riding it almost everyday!!

• 3 months later...

Just picked up my 2013 Ossa 280i .. got it to start after the first 10 kicks and putted around for 15 minutes ... after that continued to fight with it for 4 hours and still wont start...... my foots bruised and broken and it would be really nice if my beautiful ornamint would turn into a bike sometime soon.

Make sure you don't open the throttle whilst kicking.

Lean the left handlebar against something and don't touch the throttle. Stand on the pegs and kick it.

Good hard kicks from the top should fire it.

If it still won't go something is wrong. Apart from checking the spark plug and fuel it's a dealer job!

Edited by timp

Just picked up my 2013 Ossa 280i .. got it to start after the first 10 kicks and putted around for 15 minutes ... after that continued to fight with it for 4 hours and still wont start...... my foots bruised and broken and it would be really nice if my beautiful ornamint would turn into a bike sometime soon.

Replace the capacitor behind the front headlight with a 12v re-chargeable battery as mentioned in this thread and you'll be happy as larry. Its easy to make if you can't get one from your dealer.

We had all the same issues, tried special fuel/oil mixtures, special plugs, got other people to "kick it properly" and all the other BS spun to me from the dealer. Battery on, problem gone.

the Lithium 12v must incorporate the capacitor unit, if the battery is dead the fan will not run properly. You should have the capacitor installed. since they have the capacitor on the 2013 then I would recommend the 9v system and it is far less expensive. No issue with flooding from over pressure from the fuel pump. See here for the connection diagram, takes about 15 minute to install. The 12 V does work, 9v in my opinion is far better.

Further to this, the 2013 bike have a higher compression therefore all the more reason to have 9v easy start.

Hope this helps>>>

http://www.ossacanada.ca/Ossa%20TR280i%209V%20battery%20connection.pdf

Got my dealer to make one up and install a 9v sustem for me that works absolutly awesomef.... bike still wont start unless im holding that button though! ... ....... the real sad story though is i have 2 1/2 hours on a brand new bike ...my clutch is leaking.... its missing small parts from my front light ... and now the bike wont shift ....... did anybody else have this experience?? because i have to be honest my Ossa experience so far has turned into hell........ dont get me wrong i love the bike when its working properly .... im just a little shocked at the problems ive run into on a brand new bike.