Stiff kickstart return

andyt

Hi, kickstart is stiff returning from the out position, always had to kick it back in. Just had a look at the parts diagram & under the grubscrew there was no spring or ballbearing. The fact that the grubscrew was tight in was causing it to be stiff. Do I need the spring and bearing, is it just a tension adjuster or actually holding it on? The parts diagram looks wrong as I presume the bearing should be on the inside, riding in the groove (which I couldn't see looking through the hole), then spring, then grubscrew. Thanks.

08 290

The grub screw holds things together and is a tension adjuster. The detent ball and spring are separate and enguage in the closed position.

Grub adjustment can be sensitive, as one does not want to back off toomuch or things may come apart, as it is the retainer as well. I have used a dab of paint or blue locktite on them once set, but usually they do not move after original set. :rolleyes:

The grub screw holds things together and is a tension adjuster. The detent ball and spring are separate and enguage in the closed position.

Grub adjustment can be sensitive, as one does not want to back off toomuch or things may come apart, as it is the retainer as well. I have used a dab of paint or blue locktite on them once set, but usually they do not move after original set. :rolleyes:

cheers

• 7 months later...

I recently found that I too was missing the spring and ball. I found a spring in a car fuse carried that fitted and the ball from an old trials wheel bearing is the right size.

Should the grub screw have a rounded end as i am too missing it. I have replaced it with a short bolt but was thinking over time surely that will wear the shaft?

Ta conor

Edited by ronoc88

I recently found that I too was missing the spring and ball. I found a spring in a car fuse carried that fitted and the ball from an old trials wheel bearing is the right size.

Should the grub screw have a rounded end as i am too missing it. I have replaced it with a short bolt but was thinking over time surely that will wear the shaft?

Ta conor

The proper spring and detent ball help prevent the lever from swinging out of its locked position on its own. I seem to recall the grub is machined on the end in order to slide properly in its groove.

I recco you get the correct bits from your dealer of someone like splatshop.co.uk so it works as it should. not pricy.

You need proper grease in the pivot, and likely need a dab of blue locktite on the grub, as you must back it out slightly from full in so things rotate freely. They can be a bit of a pain to assemble as the proper spring has a bit of tension.

Edited by copemech

The parts book seems to show the grubscrew end being stepped down on diameter, had a look on splatshop as I'm missing mine & they may as well be free for what they cost. Think cost for spring,ball & grubscrew were under a fiver

May see if we have a ball detent at work to try in mine otherwise will be placing a decent sized order off them shortly