Long distance trial...some questions

jimmer

Hi ,

I have my first LDT this weekend. Feeling nervous. Having spoken to the organiser she assured me i'd be ok; there is a small girl riding a big bike staring behind me and she is ok. I am a big bloke on a small ty175, i think i will just look funny if nothing else.

Anyway what should i know? Any tips? Biggest question is tyre pressures - do i have a set pressure for the day with road work and sections, or pump them up and let them down as i go - and what pressures should i use?

cheers

Hi ,

I have my first LDT this weekend. Feeling nervous. Having spoken to the organiser she assured me i'd be ok; there is a small girl riding a big bike staring behind me and she is ok. I am a big bloke on a small ty175, i think i will just look funny if nothing else.

Anyway what should i know? Any tips? Biggest question is tyre pressures - do i have a set pressure for the day with road work and sections, or pump them up and let them down as i go - and what pressures should i use?

cheers

On a trials bike I would suggest that you add a pound or two to the tyres to help with the road parts of the course, perhaps 6f/5r.

If you've got a choice of gearing, it is worth going up one on the front or down a few on the back, again to help with the road parts of the event.

It's also important to make sure you can read the route card easily. A winding holder if the best, it enables you to read the route round as you go along.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rixen-Kaul-ROTATING-Mini-Cycle-Map-Holder-TOURING-/200629960409?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item2eb67a3ed9

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Pete

On a trials bike I would suggest that you add a pound or two to the tyres to help with the road parts of the course, perhaps 6f/5r.

If you've got a choice of gearing, it is worth going up one on the front or down a few on the back, again to help with the road parts of the event.

It's also important to make sure you can read the route card easily. A winding holder if the best, it enables you to read the route round as you go along.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rixen-Kaul-ROTATING-Mini-Cycle-Map-Holder-TOURING-/200629960409?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item2eb67a3ed9

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Pete

My first link isn't quite the right thing, here's a link to a site with better suggestions.

http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=226

And this is the one I've made from sheet steel and perspex for the DRZ.

100_5534.jpg

If you happen to look at this link again - that was one of the best days' fun i have had in a long time - i can thorough;y recommend kit. And the advice on tyres and mapholder were spot on. The other advice - well i didn't ask anyone out or fight, i was too busy trying to stay on my bike...

If you happen to look at this link again - that was one of the best days' fun i have had in a long time - i can thorough;y recommend kit. And the advice on tyres and mapholder were spot on. The other advice - well i didn't ask anyone out or fight, i was too busy trying to stay on my bike...

Nice one! :thumbup:

Not sure if it's too far for you to travel but the Stratford-Upon-Avon Club are running the OK supreme LDT this weekend and the Leamington Victory Club also have on coming up.

Both are rounds of the ACU trail bike championship but have an easy route for those wishing to have a less challenging day out.

Pete

Nice one! :thumbup:

Not sure if it's too far for you to travel but the Stratford-Upon-Avon Club are running the OK supreme LDT this weekend and the Leamington Victory Club also have on coming up.

Both are rounds of the ACU trail bike championship but have an easy route for those wishing to have a less challenging day out.

Pete

Unfortunately they are too far, but thanks. I have a question though: i am a bit confused by the number of governing bodies. My local club is AMCA, but there is another that is ACTC and there is ACU and MCC....what does it all mean? if i were to join a club what would be best?!

Unfortunately they are too far, but thanks. I have a question though: i am a bit confused by the number of governing bodies. My local club is AMCA, but there is another that is ACTC and there is ACU and MCC....what does it all mean? if i were to join a club what would be best?!

For trials events there are basically two main governing bodies, the ACU (and SACU in Scotland) and the AMCA.

Most trials are run by clubs affiliated to one of these bodies.

To enter an event you need to be a member of a Motorcycle Club (MCC of MC) who are affiliated to an organising body.

I believe the ACTC is a Classic bike organisation affiliated to the ACU.

I hope this helps.

Pete

For trials events there are basically two main governing bodies, the ACU (and SACU in Scotland) and the AMCA.

Most trials are run by clubs affiliated to one of these bodies.

To enter an event you need to be a member of a Motorcycle Club (MCC of MC) who are affiliated to an organising body.

I believe the ACTC is a Classic bike organisation affiliated to the ACU.

I hope this helps.

Pete

Thanks again Pete!

You mentioned taller gears, and having done my first trial, for the road work taller gears would help! I think mine has a 13t front cog, not sure about the back but it would be standard. If i put a larger front cog on what should i go up to do you think? max i can get is 17t. Also are there issues running a new cog on an old chain?

Thanks again Pete!

You mentioned taller gears, and having done my first trial, for the road work taller gears would help! I think mine has a 13t front cog, not sure about the back but it would be standard. If i put a larger front cog on what should i go up to do you think? max i can get is 17t. Also are there issues running a new cog on an old chain?

I would try up one or two on the front to start with, if you can get them. That way, you hopefully won't need to alter the chain, simply move the wheel adjusters forward.

The sprocket ratio is roughly 3:1 so two teeth on the front is the equivalent to six off the rear.

This will will make first gear feel more like second but will give you a better road speed in top. Don't go too much taller or first won't be low enough for the sections.