IRC rear tyre problem

curt531

Nothing to do with the band as the 4 i know about all have 2011 Gas Gas's on DID rims. They only go flat when riding sections or between sections. They stay up all week if just sat in the garage or a old bath...

That's been my experience too. Also true of new IRC's fitted to older rims that have given no trouble with IRC tyres in the past; however it's always been the case that they've tended to lose pressure if you hit something really hard.

Edited by Lowbrow

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I've had the same problem with an IRC going flat as soon as you hit even the smallest of steps. I switched to a Michelin X-lite and have had no problems. The bike is a Scorpa which is virtually new and the rear wheel is completely true. I took the tyre back to the dealer, BVM, and they admitted that they have had loads of returned IRC tyres. The rumour is that the latest batch of IRCs bought into the UK have some kind of problem. Some are Ok but many aren't.

Had this problem for a couple of years until we switched to a DID rim. In our case it went down slowly though so could be different. One thing I have heard is that IRC are not cleaning the Mould "swarf" off the tyre bead so that a seal cannot be held properly. Those who "know" are using a dremmel to clean this off.

Had this problem for a couple of years until we switched to a DID rim. In our case it went down slowly though so could be different. One thing I have heard is that IRC are not cleaning the Mould "swarf" off the tyre bead so that a seal cannot be held properly. Those who "know" are using a dremmel to clean this off.

Interesting point and that's not something I've noticed, but as others have said these tyres will remain inflated until the bike is ridden.

I have found a better way to find very slow leaks is to mix up some fairy liquid & water in a spray bottle, spray all over the tyre, rim & spoke nipples then go off for cup of tea.

Afterwards you should see a cluster of bubbles where the leak is. It is quite hard to spot a small leak using a bath of water.

you're not alone with this one,some of the local riders have had this.One of them measured the diameter of the tyre where it touches the rim,and told me it was 4mm larger than the old tyre.He was refunded,you might like to measure your tyre and compare.Shame cos irc is the best for our conditions.

Already done all this as I said in my thread.

my mistake i thought you said it went down when you dropped the pressure to 4, just before riding.

SO, if you leave it at 4 in the garage for a day or so does it drop or not?

if all the guys are saying its an irc problem best do some measuring or put the old one back on?

Edited by Nigel Dabster

my mistake i thought you said it went down when you dropped the pressure to 4, just before riding.

SO, if you leave it at 4 in the garage for a day or so does it drop or not?

if all the guys are saying its an irc problem best do some measuring or put the old one back on?

I've left the tyre inflated to 30 psi,10 psi & 4 psi all over the space of a week & it does'nt loose a jot of air untill you ride it, even riding about outside my house will see it go down ! :(

well took my wheel back to the shop where i got the tyre from today, Leisure Trail in Long Eaton & credit where credit is due, after a little discussion they agreed to removed it from my wheel & fitted a new one free of charge,many thanks guys, we will see how I get on with it, I really hope that sorts it as the tyre did work quite well. :)

you're not alone with this one,some of the local riders have had this.One of them measured the diameter of the tyre where it touches the rim,and told me it was 4mm larger than the old tyre.He was refunded,you might like to measure your tyre and compare.Shame cos irc is the best for our conditions.

Just measured my IRC that I kept when I swapped back to mich it also would leak when I rode it and it too is 4mm bigger at the point that touches the rim think I will be back to shop at weekend to see if anything can be done ???

well rode the bike with the other new tyre on, fitted by Leasure Trail using a Putoline rim sealing compound, gave it 48 hours at 20 psi before I rode it as the guy who fitted it suggested & guess what, 20 minutes & it's flat :( . I can't beleive that it could be a second tyre faulty, but it does not go down until you ride it.Going to put my old Mich back on today & see what happens, this is realy doing my head in now.Friend of mine with the same bike has bought an IRC & has had no problems, only difference is I have the Morad rear rim & he has the DID, must be the Morad rims ?

well rode the bike with the other new tyre on, fitted by Leasure Trail using a Putoline rim sealing compound, gave it 48 hours at 20 psi before I rode it as the guy who fitted it suggested & guess what, 20 minutes & it's flat :( . I can't beleive that it could be a second tyre faulty, but it does not go down until you ride it.Going to put my old Mich back on today & see what happens, this is realy doing my head in now.Friend of mine with the same bike has bought an IRC & has had no problems, only difference is I have the Morad rear rim & he has the DID, must be the Morad rims ?

Swap your IRC for the one your mate has and see what happens. I'd bet against your tyre rather than the rim.