sherco 250 (03) is my stator dead

myzeneye

Don't build me up to be too much 'cos I can't take a decent photo for toffee, pick the bones out of this:-

wiring2.jpg

...but then I noticed that I'd taken this photo in the past..spot the difference????shercostrip001.jpg

Edited by HAM2

cheers ham, your a gent mate...ill give it a go tomorrow...allthough it all looks pretty much the same to me....? just thinking, maybe the radiator isnt sat fully home after me mauling it to route the cable up the inside of the frame..... ? doubt it, but ill check it....

as for the differance.......??? dunno but the bootom pic seems to have loads more room ???

still cant get the tank on without forcing it... <_<

anyways, for those folowing the thread re: the stator issues....

just to report back....

i took the bike for a wee bimble round the front garden today. its running spot on. really sharp on the throttle,clean, not running hot at all.... was a bit smokey at first but soom settled.... im really happy with the results and for anyone with no spark/dead stator/timing issues, who has never done this kind of job to their bike before, like me, dont panic...its pretty simple.

the whole thing took about 5 mins to remove case, remove flywheel remove stator... the cable routing is what took the time really.....

thanks for your help and guidance guys.... exactly what forums are for. :icon_salut:

now, off for another try at getting that bloody tank to sit right.... :blink:

My Sherco spat the stator early this year.

Thanks to Chris at the Splatshop, Don at motocentral(ACT, Australia) and all on here. My '03 is now running just perfect! All the bits went in ok, but no go...mmmmmmmm. OK over to Don's to get it checked out properly. Liam, the mechanic had it running spot on within about 10 minutes! LEGEND!

The stator from Chris combined with the parts from Don,Liam had snipped the wiring loom and saved me about 30gms in weight! Liam had retarded the timing just a tad and its just how I need it. I'm waiting now on a rear brake caliper kit to arrive, i'll have that fitted then its summer training!

still cant get the tank on without forcing it... <_<

Have you removed the coil unit but not refited it correctly? If I remember, on my '05 model, it was essential to make sure the coil/CDI unit was fitted correctly, but I can't recall exactly what I needed to do, except to try different combinations of mounting bracket and coil mounting holes!

I didn't have to modify anything though - Mr Sherco had it right in the first place - I just had to replicate that.

Have you removed the coil unit but not refited it correctly? If I remember, on my '05 model, it was essential to make sure the coil/CDI unit was fitted correctly, but I can't recall exactly what I needed to do, except to try different combinations of mounting bracket and coil mounting holes!

I didn't have to modify anything though - Mr Sherco had it right in the first place - I just had to replicate that.

yes ive renewed the cdi as well as the stator... gonna remove cdi completly and try to refit tank without it just for my own sanity to see if it fits... ive looked at the bracket on the cdi, dont think ive done anything other then put it back exactly how i found it.... but it was snug fit to begin with to be fair....

ive been distracted in sorting other peoples bikes out this week, and mines just sat in the dog house.....minus its tank... :rolleyes:

will get onto it ....

tuck it all up on the left side, refit the cdi/coil unit as required. It does fit, just a bit of patience...Ive done it a couple of times, make sure the thermostat isnt making contact with the tank, if it does, just loosen the jubilee clips and move it round a bit.

I too have struggled when re-fitting the fuel tank. As HAM2 says, loose and free is better than tucked and tidy as the wires and plugs are more pliable when they're not all tied together. I seem to recall that one of the obstructions was the 2 pin connector plug for the fan that was getting trapped between the radiator and the underside of the tank. I'm not entirely sure how I eventually got the tank to sit correctly into the frame but I know that it involved a lot of swearing.

hahhaha

glad its not just me being a dope then.....

been working all hours at the mo' saturday evening im in the gargae with a few beers till its done.

will report back sunday morning with details of how i have ended up strapping a 5litre fuel can to the frame with a million cable ties and a lentgh of garden hose pipe.... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

right, final update on this one...

finally got the tank to sit right by bending the bracket for the cdi downwards a bit...this seemed to do the trick quite nicley...

as for the set up and timing of the new stator.. the bike run spot on, couldnt be happier with it. any one reading this, faced with this kind of stator problem who isnt 100% on the mechanical side of things....dont panic, it was easy stuff....

im gonna strip the flywheel back off and retatrd the timing just a fraction as the bike was a tad too keen for me...but as for the way it run, it was bang on response wise....

happy days....

thanks for the help guys...