Beta Suspension

nif40

Fella's... Fella's. ! Nif I know you have performed these tests with weak results ( if any ). What I can say here is this. Nif can ride and has feel for set-up. All he was trying to do here is get his forks to act a bit more like a zoke if possible. He did say the left fork did nothing as far as "compression dampening" goes due to his oil viscosity changes in the left leg. You guys were right technically but nif was right in his feel, so he assumed they did nothing as far as comp. dampening was concerened as the advice recomended did not offer change. He did take the fork apart and now knows for sure that they should ! I "may" ( and I did say may ) have an answer... maybe one of the previous owners drilled out the comp. holes ( I'm sure everyone remembers that old trick...drilling and brazing...yikes I feel old ) to get quicker dampening...the problem he is trying to reverse here ??? (I know, I know, much easier to change the oil) :) and or the dampening seal is bad ? Liviob the next time your in your left leg and have time, can post or pm the diameter of you comp. orifices ?

Nif, thanks for your kind words. As I can niether confirm or deny any of this due to the lack of experimentation, I think (as in those charts) it is the square edge bumps that are going to blow you into the high regions and pain zones reguardless of the fluid(did i say hydrolock) and this is difficult to test quantitvely in the field.

Those Race Tech Emulators have been around for a while, and look of interist.

I guess if they come in pairs, you could do two bikes.

Liveo, The Sherco has used the dual side Paioli since '06 i believe it was. I estimate them to be virtually identicle to the Beta forks in the workings, although the legs are machined a bit differently on the outside, and I think they spec the levels and quantities a bit different.

You lads keep us posted! I have too many projects already!

:thumbup:

Over the weekend i changed the oil in my bikes forks. I am trying to firm the compression feel up a little. I didnt break the fork legs down completly to measure the passages in the damper rod as nif40 may not have the same year bike and breaking them down completly requires more time. What i did was in the right leg replace the red line light "18.4cs" with motul shock oil "16.1cs" which is a faster oil and in the left leg i replaced the Belray HVI 3wt "11cs" with Silkolene pro rfs 2.5wt "13.6cs". Which is a slower oil. I left the spring preload setting alone and used the factory oil height setting. What i noticed wad a slightly slower or firmer compresion stroke equivelint in feel to one to two clicks on a compression adjuster.

I porposely did not make any change to the rear suspension and now the front is a little slower during compression than the rear.

Edited by Liviob

Over the weekend i changed the oil in my bikes forks. I am trying to firm the compression feel up a little. I didnt break the fork legs down completly to measure the passages in the damper rod as nif40 may not have the same year bike and breakin them down completly requires more time. What i did was in the right leg replace the red line light "18.4cs" with motul shock oil "16.1cs" which is a faster oil and in the left leg i replaced the Belray HVI 3wt "11cs" with Silkolene pro rfs 2.5wt "13.6cs". Which is a slower oil. I left the spring preload setting alone and use the factory oil height setting. What i noticed wad a slightly firmer compresion stroke equivent in feel to one two two clicks on a compression adjuster.

I pourposely did not make any change to the rear suspension and now the front is a little slower during compression than the rear.

Good to hear that! You performed as simple change in oil and felt the results. Good for you! :thumbup:

Cheers! :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Aparently this Reiger damper comes stock on the new Raga 300 GG. It has a compression and rebound adjuster built into it and looks similar to the Showa damper design.

http://youtu.be/eNm2zyzKV7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNm2zyzKV7U

I am curious to know if their is one in the works for Beta EVO?

Heres a link to their site.

http://www.reigersuspension.com/index.php?page=main&id=3&nwsid=257

Edited by Liviob

My understanding of this system is both legs have oil and springs inside?

One leg is compression, the other rebound. DO NOT TREAT BOTH LEGS THE SAME!

Each one needs to be valved and the right oil added for what you want in terms of feel. Then both legs need balancing to match feel and them work in unison for your body weight and riding style.

Both legs are are bolted and locked together top and bottom so it's in your head if you think they are uneven.

I seen road race bikes with this set up and if it's set up well there is no bother. It's clever and comlicated yes, but it isolates the two main forces (compression & rebound) so if your issue is compression you only have to work on one leg and vice versa.

Over the weekend i changed the oil in my bikes forks. I am trying to firm the compression feel up a little. I didnt break the fork legs down completly to measure the passages in the damper rod as nif40 may not have the same year bike and breaking them down completly requires more time. What i did was in the right leg replace the red line light "18.4cs" with motul shock oil "16.1cs" which is a faster oil and in the left leg i replaced the Belray HVI 3wt "11cs" with Silkolene pro rfs 2.5wt "13.6cs". Which is a slower oil. I left the spring preload setting alone and used the factory oil height setting. What i noticed wad a slightly slower or firmer compresion stroke equivelint in feel to one to two clicks on a compression adjuster.

I porposely did not make any change to the rear suspension and now the front is a little slower during compression than the rear.

HI, where are you getting the "CS" ratings from? I have looked at 3 brands of suspension fluids and none have it on the bottles. Thanks

I dont believe the oil manufactures list cst value on the packaging labels. I found a list of suspension oils with its cst value listed in order of lowest to highest on the web. The last time i looked some of the info is no longer availiable. However i did make a copy of the page which i found most usefull. I could post it here, but not sure if that is ok with ADMIN. If you want a copy send me your email adress through the pm system and i will send you a GIF file copy. It will make the tuning process much easyer.

I dont believe the oil manufactures list cst value on the packaging labels. I found a list of suspension oils with its cst value listed in order of lowest to highest on the web. The last time i looked some of the info is no longer availiable. However i did make a copy of the page which i found most usefull. I could post it here, but not sure if that is ok with ADMIN. If you want a copy send me your email adress through the pm system and i will send you a GIF file copy. It will make the tuning process much easyer.

Hi, thank you Liviob for you offer, it is much appreciated. For some reason when I try to PM you I am unable, it says you are unable to receive new messages.

Regards,

Mike

Hi, thank you Liviob for you offer, it is much appreciated. For some reason when I try to PM you I am unable, it says you are unable to receive new messages.

Regards,

Mike

If you go to my profile page. You will find a box on the left side that says email contact. Try sending your address though it.

well, have to add my input here.

got a used '10 evo with blown fork seals (leaking oil out of the left fork). got replacement seals from LP and rebuilt last week. All I had for oil was 5wt grosser oil from the local shop so i put factory amount in each. Overall suspension is MUCH better, haven't' bottomed and is a much nicer feel. I didn't' adjust the sag/spring tension on the left fork since it felt ok and i didn't want to change much yet.

Also stiffened the sag on the rear and tightened the adjuster there to make it more dampened but didn't' really feel much of a diff in dampening (spring tension was better).

Also put a 13t front sprocket on so i can actually use 1st gear sometimes now.

It looks to me like the GG rear shock would bolt right on (I had a spare 08 raga shock that i stole a collar from) and are the marzo forks diff diameter? couldn't you just machine the fork clamps to fit?

anyhow, love my beta...BRAAPP

SZ

• 2 months later...