4RT No Spark

scott_king

Hey all

Encountered a problem today. Started the bike in the garage yesterday without any problems so went to the trial today and now the bike wont't start as I have no spark.

Took the bike home and stripped it all down, replaced the plug, checked all the connections for continuity and everything voltage wise is in spec with the numbers in the manual. No connections were corroded or dirty. I pulled the bank sensor and checked that as well. As far as I can tell everything is fine. It should have a spark as I have ruled out everything in the manual, condenser, coil and rectifier etc but it simply will not spark. :wall:

I plugged in the PGM diagnostic tool and that failed to identify the problem.

Anyone have any additional ideas?

Thanks

Scott

is the tilt sensor still fitted ?

I have taken it off and had a play with it. I can hear it clicking from one side to the other. I am getting resistance across the connections but I have no reference to see if the switch is within tolerance. I was going to try and wire it out of the circuit tomorrow to 100% rule it out.

Any idea how I would do this??

I had a similar problem with my 4RT ... running fine at a trial. Stopped, leaned bike into a bank (no stand) and wouldn't go when picked up. Pulled plug out and checked, no spark. Turned out to be throttle cable pulled put at the throttle body (was holding throttle slightly open). Popped it back and spark was back! Started first kick.

Spent hours on it and that is what it was!!!!

Easy way to check angle sensor. Remove bank angle sensor, join outside wires together in the block connector to bypass the switch, try to start. Another problem i have had was caused by damaging the protective sheeving on the wiring loom between the stator and rectifier which allowed water in to cause a short

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

Just to let people know for their future reference I never actually found a problem. No faulty coil or bank sensor or even a dirt connection. I simply checked everything cleaned all connects even though I didnt find any dirt or water and now the bike starts first kick.

Very frustrating that I never found a problem but hope this could help people in future.

Thanks