cracked rim

houseape1000

Hi all,

Has anyone any advice on welding rims, I know it's frowned upon by some but others say it's fine.

Ideally I would go and buy myself a shiny new rear rim but thats not an option at the moment as funds have been severely depleted.

I decided to buy myself a nice new set of IRCs, removed the old rear tyre and found an innertube....oh joy....need a rimband phoned Birketts, one will be arriving tommorrow, started to clean wheel and found a crack in the outer flange...again..oh joy...ended up finding another 3 cracks.

Im gutted, will be trying to weld it but would love some good advice if anyone has any, do I loosen the spokes ?

As the previous Vee Rubber had an innertube, why had it not ripped the valve from the tube, and would it be ok to fit a tube again with the new tyre as a temporary measure ( 6 months ? ) if the rim leaks from the cracks.

I am planning a trip to Cowm on Sunday and am desperate to repair before then if possible.

Andy.

Hi all,

Has anyone any advice on welding rims, I know it's frowned upon by some but others say it's fine.

Ideally I would go and buy myself a shiny new rear rim but thats not an option at the moment as funds have been severely depleted.

I decided to buy myself a nice new set of IRCs, removed the old rear tyre and found an innertube....oh joy....need a rimband phoned Birketts, one will be arriving tommorrow, started to clean wheel and found a crack in the outer flange...again..oh joy...ended up finding another 3 cracks.

Im gutted, will be trying to weld it but would love some good advice if anyone has any, do I loosen the spokes ?

As the previous Vee Rubber had an innertube, why had it not ripped the valve from the tube, and would it be ok to fit a tube again with the new tyre as a temporary measure ( 6 months ? ) if the rim leaks from the cracks.

I am planning a trip to Cowm on Sunday and am desperate to repair before then if possible.

Andy.

Hi all,

Andy.

Quick fix, put the tube back in.

I gave up trying to stop my rear wheel leaking from the spokes (rim tape.) Others will tell you how to do it and also say it's just a case of being patient and persevering, however I am, I did and I still couldn't do it. So I fitted a tube.

Nightmare if you have a puncture as 'dog turds' won't fix a tube and you will struggle to get the tyre off in the 'field' but needs must.

I suspect that you will need a new rim, welding it up is probably not going to work, better to put the money towards a new one.

Pete

Quick fix, put the tube back in.

I gave up trying to stop my rear wheel leaking from the spokes (rim tape.) Others will tell you how to do it and also say it's just a case of being patient and persevering, however I am, I did and I still couldn't do it. So I fitted a tube.

Nightmare if you have a puncture as 'dog turds' won't fix a tube and you will struggle to get the tyre off in the 'field' but needs must.

I suspect that you will need a new rim, welding it up is probably not going to work, better to put the money towards a new one.

Pete

I would tend to agree, and save thi new rimband for a new rim! :thumbup: