field jetwash

trial_master

Well its getting to that time of year again where I will be putting the road bike away and getting the Sherco back out. But that also means the mud is here too.

What do you guys do about cleaning the bike before putting it into the van. Im not bothered about getting the van dirty. But I dont have anywhere at home to clean it and really cannot be bothered getting it back out of the van at the petrol station to use their jet wash.

I have found these on the internet but am unsure if it will be powerfull enough

Nomad 12v

Mobi v-15

There are others in the market but these appear to be two of the best

Your thoughts and ideas please...?

dont think they will be much use unless your going

to use them to remove the worst of the mud and rewash,

i bought a petrol pressure washer which has a filter

so it will draw water in without being attached to

a hose pipe. i ve never used it but i pressume it

works ok

jsp

Edited by jsp

if you are actually at an acu trial you arent allowed to wash your bike there

I dont do many trials so its just for play time. Especially in the thick of winter when the jet washes freeze up. I can use hot water in the mobile washer.

I considered a petrol one. Second hand they are about the same price. But just a bit much for what im after in terms of maintemance and ease of use. These portable electric ones have their own water container. Power wise I have been told they are about as powerful as your average hose pipe. Which should be enough aslong as I have a poking stick for the thick mud around the rear shock

I'm researching this myself currently. A self priming pressure washer (petrol or electric) will draw water from a water butt or similar, otherwise some sort of water pump is advisable to prolong the life of the washer. Apparently, the washer will kill itself prematurely if it's left to try and prime itself without help unless it's designed to do so.

I'm not convinced those two units you've linked will be man enough, but I'm sure they don't hold enough water. Consequently you'll be carrying water in some other form to top up from time to time.

Seems a little fussy to me.

The most convenient ones I've seen/used are self priming petrol ones linked to a slim water butt from Homebase/B&Q etc. The butt doesn't take up huge amounts of room in the van but holds plenty for a couple of bikes and the washer just needs a drop of fuel and a pull on the rope.

I'd be interested to know other peoples solutions though.

STOP!!

Don't do electric. You will be so angry when you finish riding and you just can't clean your bike.

A very cheap (cheapest you can find) petrol one is the way ahead. You can take water with you or suck it up etc but if the flow is not enough your wasting time (and your money). Once you have a petrol one you already have fuel etc. Mine uses less than 100ml to wash off a bike quickly. Mine was from a mate who did moto X.

It will last forever, be useful elsewhere and a general good investment.

Don't go down the "by cheap by twice" route with an electric one. it's never enough.

STOP!!

Don't do electric. You will be so angry when you finish riding and you just can't clean your bike.

A very cheap (cheapest you can find) petrol one is the way ahead. You can take water with you or suck it up etc but if the flow is not enough your wasting time (and your money). Once you have a petrol one you already have fuel etc. Mine uses less than 100ml to wash off a bike quickly. Mine was from a mate who did moto X.

It will last forever, be useful elsewhere and a general good investment.

Don't go down the "by cheap by twice" route with an electric one. it's never enough.

100ml,wow am i mistaken or is that a third of a can of coke???????????

where do you ride? if its not private land with the owners permission there are real issues with cleaning your bike at a venue. its bad enough trying to find land to ride at without leaving a big pile of wet sloppy mud on some public footpath.

Take it to the local ASDA, leave them with it instead.

where do you ride? if its not private land with the owners permission there are real issues with cleaning your bike at a venue. its bad enough trying to find land to ride at without leaving a big pile of wet sloppy mud on some public footpath.

Take it to the local ASDA, leave them with it instead.

:thumbup:

Even better I am in the process of installing a high out put 12 volt compressor and a 3 gallon air tank I will put a coupler out front and back and just use a air nozzle to blast off the dirt. If this does not work. Will put a 5-6 gallon air tank and prefill it with water and use the air to pressure it and spray that.

Just my idea

I've considered getting one of those hand pump thingys like the ones the lawn man uses for spraying pesticides.

I give the bike an all over light rub with wd40 and the mud doesn't stick anyway, just wondering if this type of washer will be man enough !

Just for local practice only.

Anyone tried one ?