2011 280 raga

nicos

Hi guys!

Can anyone with a 2011 280 raga shed some light on this,

Kehin carb 45 pilot,gjj needle middle clip.

Starts easy with choke when cold,no choke hot.

When im riding to my riding area in 4 or 5th gear on the street with throttle just off idle,it doesnt run clean.

1/8 constant throttle sounds like knocking and is not smooth,then accelerates suddenly then again knocking and not smooth,

No popping from exhaust,plug is darkish brown but dry with 80:1

Is this normal with this bike or should i adjust pilot/needle?

Air screw lowers rpm clockwise but no response when over 3turns,do i need a smaller pilot or larger?

Thanks for any info!

Ok on the internet this is difficult

If it sounds Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh then it is lean.

If it sounds Blub blub blub (like a four stroking sound) it is rich.

Check your mixture screw is in good order and all the needle screw is still intact.

:o)

I think ill order a 42 and a 48 and try them cos i cant tell!

You did get me thinking about the airscrew being "intact"since one of the bleed screws on the forks werent !!!

Ill take it out and check!

Sounding more like gung...gung...gung accelerate gung...gung...gung..

Thanks!

I think ill order a 42 and a 48 and try them cos i cant tell!

You did get me thinking about the airscrew being "intact"since one of the bleed screws on the forks werent !!!

Ill take it out and check!

Sounding more like gung...gung...gung accelerate gung...gung...gung..

Thanks!

Like Ralph said its difficult as we all percieve things differently sounds like running weak or dirt why not just wind the (is it an air screw or mixture screw) one way or the other and apreciate the difference it makes for yourself?

Hi Nicos, I have an 11' 300 Raga that ran a tad lean (slight knock) under load.I went to a 48 pilot and raised the needle a notch (lower the clip).I'm pretty sure our factory jetting is the same as the 122 main is fine. The Gasser requires 95 or higher octane so make sure you use good gas first and stay with a good quality. Typically if the adjustment is in front of the slide it's and "fuel screw" ex. Delorto, and if it is behind the slide it is an "air screw" ex. Keihin. Hope this helps :)

Difficult for us Brits to comment as the air is colder, damper and more dense here; we run different (JJH) needles too. Problem is if you set your carb' up for the road it won't be good in the sections, and vice versa. GasGas UK offer advice to riders in the Scottish 6 Day Trial and recommend that they never ride on the road with a steady throttle because the bike runs weak and overheats. The Keihin is better than a Dellorto on the road, but if the bike is good in the sections just try varying the throttle on the road (rolling it on and off) to keep it from 'pinging' which is when it is running weak.

Ok got somewere with the jetting today,

Back to 45 pilot 2 turns out airscrew

122 main

JJH needle 5th clip plus spacer as if 6th clip

Runs strong and clean with no hesitation or burbling.

Question is do i leave as is or change to a different needle?

Read up on markings for kehin needles but a bit confused!

Any advise from the experts appreciated!

Thanks!

One thing to remember about the Gassers (and probably other makes too) is that they are jetted lean out-of-the-box for homologation purposes. As I mentioned in another thread my '06 Raga was jetted lean on the main. A change on the main jet sorted it.

It came with a delorto for homologation purposes and a kehin in a box for offroad use unlike say the road reged exc ktms i have which use the same carb on and offhighway use.

With those i use a JD jetting kit which is very good.

From what i read up on the kehin website i will use a JJf or JJG which is a richer needle instead of a richer main of 122,dont you think going over 122 rich enough?

Thanks!