Bike for 9 year old

comerconstructionman

Hi all,

New here but not to bikes. I ride a lot of enduros, hare & hounds and have ridden trials in the past. My 9 year old son has been riding enduro and MX for the past 2 yeasr now on a KTM 50SX so is pretty good on a bike but is not used to gears. Hes done a couple of Enduros and rides really well. I want to start trials riding with him to help his balance practice this winter. Iv ridden trials myself but wasnt sure what bike to get him. I have been reading other posts and topics on here regarding junior bikes but im not sure of the size. He is quite short like his Dad but has good balance so I think the junior 80s would be ok for him. The 50s look small but im not sure if he would be better on a 50 or 80. The shercos look good for the 80s so was thinking of getting him (and his Dad) a sherco. Any surgestions appreciated...

Nick

At 9 years old he would be better off on an 80cc bike.

I would recommend the BETA.My son had one and in all the years he road it it was never any trouble.Always started first time and ran as sweet as a nut.

He is now on the BETA EVO 125.

Check out the classified's there is a good 05 for sale in Lowestoft !

Edited by paul250

I knew a rider on the Sherco 80. He wasn't impressed. It used the "old" full sized frame which for lads of that age is a bit too big. The engine wasn't that good either. The Beta REV50 or 80 are the main options as the GasGas 80 is also a bit big.

My lad is 9 and at 4' 3" isn't tall for his age.

He's on an '06 Rev 50 which is the perfect sized bike for him, I'm looking out for an 80cc Junior bike but they are almost impossible to get hold of...

iPhone%20Photos2%20323.jpg

Hope that helps?

PS.

You would both be better off on Beta's ;)

My lad is 9 and at 4' 3" isn't tall for his age.

He's on an '06 Rev 50 which is the perfect sized bike for him, I'm looking out for an 80cc Junior bike but they are almost impossible to get hold of...

iPhone%20Photos2%20323.jpg

Hope that helps?

PS.

You would both be better off on Beta's ;)

Thanks Kinell. The pic is of your son on his 50 then... My son is about the same height, actually just measured hi hes 4'2" with no shoes on. Is the 80 much bigger than the 50?

Nick

Edited by comerconstructionman

Have a look at:

http://www.betatrialuk.com/content/blogcategory/38/91/

Ryan's bike is the old "Rev 50" but Beta don't make this engine size any more. The "Mini Auto" bike will be too small for a 9 year old I think.

The "Evo 80 Junior" is the same size as our bike (or near enough) but the "Evo 80" has full sized wheels so they are the same as an adults bike. This makes the bike stand almost as tall as a full sized bike...

Basically the REV50 was the first bike out and was very successful. A lot of youths between 2001 and 2006 used then to bridge the gap between Small wheels and C class. The REV/EVO80 followed the following year and had "full sized" wheels. The bikes are a little shorter than the "adult" bikes.

The Picture is of an original 4 speed, in the original, (and best) colour scheme but with a Modified exhaust bracket. The later ones had modified exhaust brackets as the single mount proved vulnerable.

Fra+siden.JPG

As Kinell says the 50 was discontinued due to demand and engine supply issues. The original engine in the REV50 was replaced by a unit similar to that in the 80 with 6 speeds due to the Original 50 engine being discontinued by the maker. (Probably Minarelli). The new 50 was expensive and there was now a lot of second hand 50's so the market just wasn't there. Also the changes to the youth classes meant it would always be a bike that would only be used for a year or so.

As for the other questions. Joe Faunthorpe has recently moved to a Big Wheel 80 and His Small wheel one was at TrialsUK but may already have been sold.

The Beta REV-3 and EVO have little in common with the Smaller bikes as virtually everything is different. However they are good bikes in their own right with the REV being a dependable and stable bike. The EVO is a bike designed to Trick more. Still uses the same engines as the REV-3 but in a lighter frame. If you take a liking to anither make it shouldn't be a problem as the bikes are very different.

Edited by Telecat

The 80 Junior would proberbly suit him...

I have ridden Shercos myself are the Betas better?

Basically it's down to you. If you are happy on the Sherco stick with it. As I said the commonality isn't there with the Beta 80 to the REV-3 and EVO's as the frame and cycle parts are different. The main thing with BETA is John Lampkin's especially if you are just starting out. You can contact them direct and they have a good reputation

hi,my son has just upgraded from a beta minitrial 50 (auto) to a beta rev 50. the rev is quite a lot larger a bike but he has got used to the extra size. he is 8yrs old and quite small for his age but the bike has improved his riding. here is a clip of him on it to give you an idea of size.

• 1 month later...

My son got his TY80 last year at Christmas at 8 years old - hes now 9.

He's used it this year and started some trials in September. In my humble opinion it's an ideal starter. Predictable, teaches 'proper' bike control and relaible. He's done 5 trials and never been out of top 3 againast all of the modern stuff. The thing he has (and relies on ) is smooth throttle control, body positioning and good lines. He doesnt rely on the lightest bike, one finger clutch, hop, bounce stop etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that will come with time but at the minute he loves competing and riding 'proper' trials.

I offered him the next step up to a Beta 80 - but he was adamant he didn't want a one - so I've got him a Whitehawk 80 (probably another year on the TY80 then step up to the whitehawk)

Don't discount the little TY (although at 9 probably only a year left before its too small (but easy to sell on !)

cheers

John