Making a bike less nickable

nedrapier

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was somethingthat I saw a few years ago at the dirt bike show. I think it was called proppaloc. You fixed it into the ground and when the bike was in it, the rear wheel was encased and a bar went through from the side. They claimed that a bike had never been stolen from one and from the looks of it I would believe them. Couldn't find it on the net when I looked. Also doesn't stop people nicking hits off the rest of the bike, firing it up etc.

There was somethingthat I saw a few years ago at the dirt bike show. I think it was called proppaloc. You fixed it into the ground and when the bike was in it, the rear wheel was encased and a bar went through from the side. They claimed that a bike had never been stolen from one and from the looks of it I would believe them. Couldn't find it on the net when I looked. Also doesn't stop people nicking hits off the rest of the bike, firing it up etc.

They claimed that a bike had never been stolen from one

Thats cos noones got one

My last 2 bikes I bought I put in the back of a Toyota Starlet,(Fiesta size) forks off at the yokes and front wheel and guard still complete, then back wheel out and rear guard off. The bike is then quite small and can easily be carried by one careful owner. Chain wrapped up in a carrier bag to save oil marks and let the bike sit on the sump.

I turned up to a trial like this, took ten mins to put back together. Took it to the jet wash in bits , back int the boot and went home.

All of that cos I didn't have a towbar!

I haven't tried taking one up the stairs but can honestly say its no worse than carrying a big sack of spuds, but you get some decent gripping points off the frame and swing arm.

Can someone do this and post the video? I'm guessing a home made bike safe is out of the question and you have no outdoor space that you own. Apparently there is a few old tin huts near you on a piece of land called Dale Farm and I heard no one will nick anything from there

wasntme: That sounds like it might be a goer! We've got decking out the back of the flat I could leave the bike on if I can get it up the stairs and into the flat. All enclosed out there and and pretty damn safe.

Did you disconnect the front brake caliper from the forks and tie it onto the frame? or unclamp the lever from the bar and leave it with the forks?

Oh yeh forgot about the front brake, clutch and throttle, I took th ebars off at the clamps under the pad, the bars then cable tied to the frame.

That way no worries about levers in the wrong place. If you have a mate with abike try it first.

If you have decking at the rear and no access, could you not just ride over the house? maybe use a car or van as a kicker?

Just remembered i have a picture of the old beta as it came out of the boot, I took the forks off at the headstock on taht one. not the best quality but you will get the gist.

6244346683_4cb01d7018.jpgN

Edited by wasntme

Sadly, not enough run up at right angle, otherwise I would totally be jumping over the house. Decent steep landing on the steps down to the garden, too.

So you reckon undo the calliper from the fork and tie to the frame with the bars, then?

I see a ratchet socket set in my future!