gear oil leak from behind front sprocket?

stushine

my 2010 gas gas has sprung an oil leak, it seems to be coming from behind the front sprocket...

1st question is what seal do i need to replace (name of seal?)

and 2... can it be replaced with out stripping the engine down?

along with the gearbox seal that you can see behind the sprocket there are 2 diffrent size o rings also that fit over the shaft behind the sprocket and iside the seal and its probably these that want replacing. clean up well and run bike to see where oil is tracking from, then make a decision. if it were me i would replace the seal as well. lay bike on side take sprocket off and tease out o rings and carefully remove seal without damaging housing, its an easy job. look up parts diagrams on gas gas uk site for part numbers.

right ive took the sprocket off and removed the shift seal bushing (MT280236046), that was quite rusted and worn... ive took the red o ring and the black o ring out from behind the shift seal.. both of these look ok.. would the worn/rusty shift seal bushing cause the leak?

right ive took the sprocket off and removed the shift seal bushing (MT280236046), that was quite rusted and worn... ive took the red o ring and the black o ring out from behind the shift seal.. both of these look ok.. would the worn/rusty shift seal bushing cause the leak?

yes quite possible. clean bushing up and inspect replace if neccesary, put new o rings in and try that.whlist your there though you might as well change the seal as well.

Edited by pandelboy