misfire problems

turps

I have a really bad misfire on my 1980 TL320 and am looking for advice. My bike starts 1st or 2nd kick and ticks over great and runs at slow speed fine but as soon as I open the throttle it starts to backfire, I have changed points, condenser, coil, plug lead and plug to try and cure this fault. I have also cleaned out the carb and fitted an in-line fuel filter.

There is a chance that when I reassembled the engine that I may have put the disc valve in slightly the wrong position but have yet to check this, I wonder if this would make much of a difference to the performance, as, if it is in the wrong place it will only be out by one or two splines. I will have a look at this later this week.

The only other thing I can think of doing is changing the ignition coil on the stator. Not sure how readily avaliable (or cheap as I'm on a budget) they are. I know you can get them off the shelf for many Jap bikes but am unsure if any would be compatable. Any advice would be welcome thanks

Had the same problem on a TL320 earlier in the year and traced it back to the main jet. Although the carb had been stripped and cleaned a few times, the main jet was tarnished on the outside and also tarnished on the inside to the point where it was restricting the fuel on full throttle. New 90 main jet and the bike ran perfectly. Try this first as its cheap and easier than resetting the disc...if you still have problems, go for the disc setting.

Another thought that I have just been reminded of....take off the tailpipe and shake it. If it rattles, the chances are that the pop welds on the baffles have broken off. There are two baffle plates in the tailpipe, one with a hole at the top, the other at the bottom. If the welds brake, they run ok off the bottom, and then push themselves together, sealing off the tailpipe. Only remedy here is to cut the tailpipe open and weld it up

Cheers

Martin

Edited by MartinM

• 2 months later...

Its been a while since I've done anything to the bike due to various reasons, however after looking at all the things suggested it never got any better. In fact now I don't even have a spark, leading me to believe that its the stator ignition coil. I would like to replace this but the only part number I have is the SWM one and I could do with the Bosch number as I have seen a few on the web at reasonable prices but would hate to get the wrong one. Will any Bosch coil be compatible if the hole centres line up ? or do I have to get the exact one, Thanks in advance. :madnoel:

• 9 months later...

Finally got it running :) turns out it was the condenser, I hadn't checked that as it was a new one but as soon as I swapped it the bike started 1st kick despite having sat for about ten months. I had left it sitting at the back of the shed since then after getting nowhere fast. All I need now is some decent weather to try it out.