Stick or twist for 2012

jimmyl

Whats peoples thoughts and experiences.

After 5 years on 4rt's is 2012 time for a switch or is the 4rt still as good as the rest in real club man trials.

Current ride - 2009 250 4rt twin ptb running modified Sains map.

Current ability - O40 riding Normandale's, clubman route on S3 and general clubman/O40s sections.

If people have moved from 4rts what have they found suits best and have they improved, got worse or stayed the same.

We all know the 4rt is not the size zero super model but in the real world is this an issue. Super suspension, super quality, bullet proof motor and still makes you smile every time you fire her up.

After 5 years on 4rt's is 2012 time for a switch or is the 4rt still as good as the rest in real club man trials.

Current ability - O40 riding Normandale's, clubman route on S3 and general clubman/O40s sections.

If people have moved from 4rts what have they found suits best and have they improved, got worse or stayed the same.

We all know the 4rt is not the size zero super model but in the real world is this an issue. Super suspension, super quality, bullet proof motor and still makes you smile every time you fire her up.

Jimmy, been on an 08 Raga for 3 years and going 4RT after having ridden a couple (one brand spanker 300 with Termignoni pipe etc etc and a bog standard 08). Plussssshh suspension offsets marginal extra weight, can't wait to get on ebut like rocking horse poo on the 2nd hand market

I'd go for the smile everytime. Bike's perfect for the trials you mentioned as I'm just finding out. After years on Beta/Gas Gas I've not really noticed the weight issue and have found the bike easier to ride in most situations. You can send me your ptb though if you do swap :madnoel:

Hi

Sorry but had to jump in here as it rang so many bells. I'm in the "over 50's" range riding easy route [late returner] and was on an 09/10 4RT [with 280 conversion, lift plates at the back and "speckled clutch plates"-really nice though I say so myself]but wasn't really getting to grips with things. Tried all the bikes I could get my hands on including the replicas but had instant, overwhelming and enduring love affair with new 280 Ossa. SO-O-O-O easy to ride and grips so well it made the 4RT look like it had slicks on but the real benefit is on laps 3 and 4 when the [lack of] weight comes into play!!! Scoring has gone from 50-80 down to 10-25 over 3m and I just love it [2012 Fajardo replica already ordered].

If you buy something else without having tried an Ossa, don't ever ride one as you'll hate yourself-of course that's just my opinion but if you're in the northeast area and want to try mine just head over and ask.

Very best wishes

Will-in-the-mud

There will be infinitely more competitive and rideable bikes (GG/Sherco/Beta Evo/Ossa 280) than a 4RT, but when it all comes rogether on the 4RT, it gives you immense satisfaction

4RT's are lovely bikes, but have achille's heels (weight,limited grip in some situations, poorer turning circle) however they have the ability to give the owner great satisfaction to own & ride

It's a Marmite bike - some love it and others hate it............................. :thumbup:

There are cheaper, lighter and better bikes, but what is more important, for me, every time I get on my 4RT I love it, it's the best bike I've ever had. I nearly bought the Ossa before i got the Mont, never got the chance ride one, but after having a good go on a well set up Mont, i was hooked and made my decission easy (cost aside) If you think it's a great bike, get a new one, you'll still love it, if your tired of it, try something else, but you might regret it ;-) the mont is definitely a marmite bike, but I know 7 owners and they all love them.

hi there! over the years I have ridden and competed on almost every brand there is! I like you have a soft spot for 4Ts. I honestly have not spend tons of time on a Mont, but, I currently am riding a Beta 300 4T and cannot believe how good it is! There are only a couple around where I live, so it seems not many people have tryed them. Have you tryed on before? Best turning radius, loads of power( mine has the factory rear silencer) and build quality same as the Mont I believe.

Steve

Interesting thread! I'm in the exact same position; I've had my 4RT for 6 years now, and it's been great, but my eyes are beginning to wander. My 4RT has held up excellent, and is still in great shape, so I don't ~need~ a new bike, but I do want one.

I test rode an Ossa a few weeks ago, and wow, I loved it! Like Will-in-the-mud said, I just can't get it out of my head now. BUT, I tend to keep bikes for 5 or more years, and I'm worried about buying a brand new design, from a brand new company. I'm usually a late adopter, and wait to buy until after most of the bugs have been sorted.

I rode a friend's 2012 Sherco, and liked it a lot, but most of my friends have Shercos, so that rules them out. :lol:

I'd really like to try out an Evo, but haven't had the chance yet. The Evo seems to meet all of my needs, IF I enjoy riding it more than the 4RT.

Interesting thread! I'm in the exact same position; I've had my 4RT for 6 years now, and it's been great, but my eyes are beginning to wander. My 4RT has held up excellent, and is still in great shape, so I don't ~need~ a new bike, but I do want one.

I test rode an Ossa a few weeks ago, and wow, I loved it! Like Will-in-the-mud said, I just can't get it out of my head now. BUT, I tend to keep bikes for 5 or more years, and I'm worried about buying a brand new design, from a brand new company. I'm usually a late adopter, and wait to buy until after most of the bugs have been sorted.

I rode a friend's 2012 Sherco, and liked it a lot, but most of my friends have Shercos, so that rules them out. :lol:

I'd really like to try out an Evo, but haven't had the chance yet. The Evo seems to meet all of my needs, IF I enjoy riding it more than the 4RT.

I too am quite satisfied with my 4RT and I don't need a new bike. But I tested a 300 4T EVO and now I want one.

Glad to see a lot of you guys have same feelings as me. I think riding something you enjoy can be as good as riding the latest fashion. Hopefully what you like is not handicapping your results. Keep the comments and feedback coming